NGD - Punk Rock Blackie

cliffenstein

• Members

This isn't a true NGD, but the upgrades are all done and the end results make me feel that an NGD post is warranted.

I bought a like new Squier Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster from Guitar Center Used Gear for just $79.99. It arrived and was truly like new. I then put another $80 worth of upgrades into it (Fender MIM Standard tremolo assembly and Fender US wiring, pots, cap, switch, output jack, and pickup covers) and replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB Jr I had from a previous guitar.

At this point the guitar was really solid. I liked it a bunch, except that the neck was ultimately a bit thinner and flatter than I prefer. I've got big hands and absolutely LOVE the neck on my 2013 Fender Japan '54 Stratocaster. The stock VM70's neck is well made...it's basically a full C version of an MIM Standard modern C neck, so it fills the hand a touch more than a standard. However, switching from the 54 Strat to the VM70's was just too much for me.

I ultimately decided to replace the neck, so I purchased a loaded 2015 MIM Classic Series '50s Stratocaster neck from Reverb. I also had Warmoth send me a single-ply 8 screw pickguard with my preference of two knob holes.

My guitar tech put everything together for me this morning and redid the setup for the 7.25" radius.

I thought the guitar was good before...my word...it's AMAZING now. And I mean that. This new neck is absolutely wonderful. It was a perfect, drop in fit for the body.

Digital calipers measurements of this classic series '50s neck:

.886" (22.5 mm) at 1st fret

.915" (23.25 mm) at 12th fret

The body and the middle and neck pickups are the only things that remain from the original guitar.

PICS of my completed Fender/Squier '50s Partscaster (Punk Rock Blackie):

30693026408_a2cb8d2eb8_o.jpg

29625381667_61d881fdf5_o.jpg

29625382317_bfd39d4370_o.jpg

30693029808_a96b3b7f90_o.jpg

30693030788_a3dd469250_o.jpg

30693031938_e3c0ef4517_o.jpg

29625385277_a506628852_o.jpg

29625385817_e76be69975_o.jpg

• Members
Sounds like a good deal. It's worth spending a bit to get a neck you are happy with. If you spend money on one thing, it should go towards a neck that feels right.

Especially since the neck drives the actual sound more than the body does. This guitar easily competes with my Fender Japan Limited Edition '54 Stratocaster now. So good!

Especially since the neck drives the actual sound more than the body does.

I'm not quite sure I'd agree with that... but I do agree that getting a neck that has a profile and thickness that suits their hands is very important to a lot of players - myself included.

This guitar easily competes with my Fender Japan Limited Edition '54 Stratocaster now. So good!

I'm glad everything worked out so well for you - congratulations, and HNGD! :cool2:

• Members

The Warmoth pickguard was free? Your tech's labor was free?

;)

I'm just messin' with ya.

Very nice, cool project :thu:

Warmoth pickguard and tech labor (which was exceedingly inexpensive because this very good tech is also a friend of mine) are both included in the $370 total price.

Archived