Tarnished/faded black chrome hardware!

KevinTJH

• Members

I bought this beautiful Ibanez 7-string some years ago that had gorgeous looking black chrome hardware.

Over the years it has turned into something rather ugly.

The part of the bridge that had the most human contact has completely turned into full chrome.

Assuming I’d prefer to not have to remove any hardware, what can I do to make it all a uniform colour?

I like chrome black a little more, but ordinary chrome is fine too.

0BE24752-8561-4278-B0FE-D6EFDE4DA207_zpsxpdu8jjd.jpg

B762B857-6939-4866-A32B-84BCFCA083E0_zpsyqbfq2wf.jpg

• Members

That might be a PVD (Physical vapor deposition), however, it looks more like black nickel with a thin layer of chrome over the nickel plating. Black chrome nickel is not very durable.

I call that look patina.

The chrome plating on newer guitars sucks and is very thin. I have guitars from the early 80's and the chrome plating is still perfect. I have newer stuff and the chrome finish is showing some signs of wear.

People pay bigger $$$ to get that look, let it go.

• Members
Man - I have that finish on a San Dimas. I sure hope that doesn't happen to mine' date=' no matter how cool/relic some may think it looks.[/quote']

It will.

It's not reliced it's patina

I guess if you don't play it and leave it in the case, it will never happen.

I believe the fold parts are anodized and wear like this.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Floyd-Rose-The-Original-Banner.jpg","data-attachmentid":32332373}[/ATTACH]

• Members
What if I want to complete strip that coating down to that "clean" nickel?

Is that any substance I could use to do that?

If you wanted to strip it chemically, you'd need to use Hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid to remove it.

You aren't going to find "Clean Nickle" below the surface however.

The Nickle is electroplated onto steel I wouldn't advise removing it unless you plan on replacing the electroplating because all you'll do is strip it down to the steel which will l look horrible. Plain still will rust quickly once exposed.

Having something recoated is no fun either. I thought about learning how to do it until I looked at the list of chemicals you need to use and the complexity of the process. I don't advise amateurs messing around with Acids and Cyanide used in the electroplating process unless they are trained by a professional who knows how its done.

My advice, buy some automotive Swirl remover and use it to polish the chrome. Its not going to replace what's been lost but it will make what you have left look good.

If that isn't good enough you have two choices.

One is to replace the hardware with new and keep it polished with carnauba wax so acid form the hands doesn't eat through it.

Or you can simply get over it and stop worrying about how the instrument looks and focus on how you make it sound. Most musicians have a streak of vanity but when it comes to an audience, they could care less about your chrome. If they watch you play it will be for your performance skills, not your chrome.

Archived