Ring modulators

Chordite

• Members

I got to play with one for a few minutes, it belonged to a friend of mine. It was obviously home made, he bought it at a garage sale.

There was a knob to adjust the "mod" frequency, and maybe a mix or master volume knob. Yeah, it's not very musical, a lot of the tones are very dissonant depending on the interval to the modulation frequncy. I could see using it for a clangy, bell like sound effect. Or, probably with careful tuning of the mod frequency, as a weird drone tone.

• Members

Ring modulators are an essential part of an analog synth circuit for shaping notes. Even my little mini moog has a Bell Tone voice which uses a ring circuit to get those sounds. Envelope filters are another synth circuit made available for guitar and a synth also contains many other circuits including LFO, Wah, tremolo, vibrato, even a compressor is the basis of the attack and decay of notes. main difference is the notes are generated by an oscillator instead of a string but the rest are all common audio effects used for guitars and other electronic instruments.

The origin of the circuits come from many sources. Some are popular and some aren't. The rig modulator generates dissonant harmonics so its not as popular as other effects. Its origins come straight out of a radio circuit handbook and is used to generate carrier frequencies in radio using frequency multiplication. Two waves are combined to make the third carrier wave which the audio information rides on.

The first use of it in music was in a keyboard called the Melochord back in 1947. It was made popular with synths beginning in the late 60's and probably didn't make its way to guitars until the early guitar synths like the Stramp. Personally I never found it very useful without it being combined with other synth circuits but some artists have found uses for it.

• Members

Jeff Beck successfully makes use of the ring modulator effect.

When two frequencies (A and B) are combined it results in four frequencies being produced... (A, B, A+B and A-B). A-B, which is the difference between the two, is the 'beat' frequency we hear when we tune our guitars using harmonics.

The ring modulator uses an oscillator to generate a tone which is combined with the source (guitar, synth etc.) producing a beat frequency and adding some knarly sounding harmonics which may or may not sound musical.

The DX7 and other FM synths allowed the user subtle control of the effect in order to create realistic sounding percussive attacks that contained lots of harmonics.

• Members

I bought the Moog Minifooger version that came out a couple years ago or so. I really couldn't figure out how or "what for" to use it, so it went back into its box.

It's about time I give it another go, but most likely it will never be a staple for me. Having better luck with the Minifooger Delay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I bought the Moog Minifooger version that came out a couple years ago or so. I really couldn't figure out how or "what for" to use it, so it went back into its box.

It's about time I give it another go, but most likely it will never be a staple for me. Having better luck with the Minifooger Delay.

I have one too. It can sound pretty cool if you put the time in but it's not the first or even 5th effect that I would buy. It's definitely something you'd only want to use in specific circumstances. Here are the two that I've found:

1. Only mix in a little bit of the ring modulator signal - so you can still mostly just hear the guitar tone - it can add some weird dissonance to it and make something plain sounding much more interesting

2. Mix more ring modulator in (but still have plenty of regular guitar signal), then tune the frequency of the modulator to whatever key you're playing in - it works best for minor keys - it can definitely sound awesome this way with some work getting everything set up right - I think i got that idea from the manual

Archived