Pickup dilema

Chordite

• Members

I am fixing up a really cheap but playable small body guitar. It is of the single humbucker at the bridge variety.

One loop of the bucker is dead so I shopped for a replacement and, since I never do simple if I can make something complicated, I bought a chinese made pair 11k & 12k.

Basically I am a rhythm player so my dilemma is whether to install the bridge or the neck pup from the set. Despite the position I am leaning to installing the neck pup for versatility.

Which way to go?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"For hc.jpg","data-attachmentid":32298951}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Yes, either will do, BUT string spacing may, and I say MAY, play a factor. Some but not all bridge hums have a different spacing for the strings them the neck hum. These are cheapies, so it probably doesn't matter.

And since you are a believer of "Simple? We don't do no stinken simple", why not pull out the router or Dremel tool, and add a neck pickup?

• Members

Either will work, the bridge (lead) vs neck (rhythm) sound comes more from the location relative to the string vibration. As you approach the bridge you get less partials and more of the fundimental making the sound brighter, away from the bridge it is complex and darker. Same as when you pick closer or farther from the bridge.

As I understand the reason for winding the bridge a little hotter is that since the amplitude of the string envelope is smaller close to the bridge you need a more powerful pup to stay in balance.

Pole spacing is worth checking also

I don't think it's going to make a huge difference in tone which of the (assumedly similarly designed, similar polepiece spaced) pickups you put in. As Freeman pointed out, the main difference comes from the physical placement, which is already pre-determined... unless you're willing to take badpenguin's suggestion and pull out a router and put in the second pickup...

• Members

I've always found it best to use a good PAF (Duncan 59) or a dimarzio super distortion type. I never worried about the volt / ohm thing. I like the PAF the best. You can pretty much shape your sound anyway you want after the guitar with less issues.

• Members

Update: Ok went with the neck. Sounds fresh and bright. Had to drop the height more than the original but fine. So thanks for the advice guys.

Tech question, can I attach a MP3 directly to the post since I don't have a hosting service?

Archived