Whatcha plugging your guitar into?

bluesmann

• Members

What your favorite tone machine. pic's required please. if tube powered, what valves / tube are you liking / using. Are you plugging in direct or using pedals? Style of music you play best?

Share your hearts guys if you want. I'll chime in later. I know I haven't been around lately, had a bad case of the blues.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Still using an old Simms-Watts Ike Isaacs 100 watt.(transistor) It's quite a rare amp now It doesn't overdrive being very much a jazzers amp. I use pedals for a bit of reverb and chorus to add depth but always basically play clean. It has a massive spring reverb which I usually keep dialed well back. Also an internal tremolo both via a footswitch

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIke Isaacs main.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t134.1 KB ID:\t32290637","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32290637","data-size":"full","title":"Ike Isaacs main.jpg"}[/ATTACH][img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=139636&type=full"}[/img2]

• Members

I have a Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20 V2. I don't use the Blackstar Insider Editing software for anything others than firmware updates, it's too weird. I just use the onboard controls to adjust the sound. I pretty much like the distortion dimed, but I play @ a relatively low volume. I like blues-rock, hard rock, and some metal.

cYv7yAS.jpg

• Members
Still using an old Simms-Watts Ike Isaacs 100 watt.(transistor) It's quite a rare amp now It doesn't overdrive being very much a jazzers amp. I use pedals for a bit of reverb and chorus to add depth but always basically play clean. It has a massive spring reverb which I usually keep dialed well back. Also an internal tremolo both via a footswitch

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIke Isaacs main.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t134.1 KB ID:\t32290637","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32290637","data-size":"full","title":"Ike Isaacs main.jpg"}[/ATTACH][img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=139636&type=full"}[/img2]

Cool amp my friend. Is that amp pre Dallas Arbiter / sound city amplifiers? remember these?

4f1ef8297ed22c13239a436b338ddce2.jpg.2520bebd0aa89c615933a9526a2ac96f.jpg

• Members

Mr. Keller, you just amaze me! a true Artisan. Is that 2 EL34's I'm seeing? I guess that's the output transformer in back of the output tubes? 30 / 35 watter maybe? whatcha got going there? I see the point to point wiring. I remember seeing some of the early marshalls. You'd take a peek inside and there was hardly anything in there but sounded amazing with the right tubes. Can we say Mullard here?

i just scored a matched pair of 7189 Mullards great Britain. matched gain of 10. For reference JJ's mostly come in a 8. Tested them but haven't tried them yet. Much admiration here Mr. Keller.

• Members

My little magic box - the Kemper. No additional effects beyond what's in the box.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"PSX_20180321_152411.jpg","data-attachmentid":32290706}[/ATTACH]

Woah! Mr. Grant! U B Profiling ! how is that amp? I've heard about them. Line 6 kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. But Kemper and AXE FX I'm hearing great things. Smokin tones and realism.

• Members

Thanks That's great, its what they thought the future would look like in the past :)

The Ike Isaacs is early 70s. The "brilliant" tone has got a bit too sharp over the last few years so I think a recap is imminent. I also run a 100 watt ELKA RM110 amp but that is designed for keys not guitar.

• Members

Yeah, Blackstar is made up of people who left Marshall to create their own brand. I like this modeling amp a lot, it's very practical. I don't think they've gotten the editing software completely down yet, tho.

And their official forum, which is pretty much dead, also seems to have been hacked.

• Members

with band at rehearsal its still my sovtek midget50h with a 2x12cab in stereo with my BYOC Tweed Royal and my pedal board in front.

preamp tubes are sovteks 12ax* powertube are tubeampdoctor... the 2x12 is a fender cab loaded with celestion 70/80s and the tweed royal has a celestion vintage 30 in it.

at home when not playing unplugged i use my recently aquired Pignose amp which is a lot of fun and sounds great for such a small amp with such an old design. i also plug in between a battery power multi fx which is i guess a clone of the line6 pocket POD which i got from amazon for 30euro or so

d58616643d04174a0fc285bf5357ccf1.jpg.8d281e2015de38e5c6748bf9bfb6cfd4.jpg

7c8f0e991d88ab148bf32223e3d27282.jpg.e690a71f6ce615f6b7e54695c283770d.jpg

2a4586491ee9e4fc7c7ddc821892415f.thumb.jpg.9da59f08e385d4fdd2c1ccbb8b7670d2.jpg

• Members

Woah! Mr. Grant! U B Profiling ! how is that amp? I've heard about them. Line 6 kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. But Kemper and AXE FX I'm hearing great things. Smokin tones and realism.

I also had the not quite there experiences with different modelers including Line 6, but this is altogether different. I ended up selling the Bogner after doing blind tests with a profile of the amp into the actual 2x12 speakers from the amp and getting it wrong several times.

The ability to go from a Shiva to a Princeton to a 5150 to an anything I want is too appealing to pass up. Add the ability to get any effect I need and it's a no brainer.

Straight into the PA or driving a guitar cab with the internal power amp or both. It takes pedals just like the amps it profiles, either in front or in its loop.

• Members

Silverface Bassman 4x10. You know what they look like. It's actually offline right now for a recap and maybe some mods to the Deep channel tone stack.

Two Guytronix kit-built amps---the Gilmore Jr can be 1/2W or 2W, depending on which power tube is selected. The Ardmore is 8W. Several different cabs.

Anyone looking into getting into building point-to-point tube amps, I highly recommend Guytronix' offerings.

Also got a little solid state buzzbox I use for function testing on the bench. $15 pawn shop special, sounds like moist ass but does what I need it to do.

• Members

Here's one of my favorites' date=' tho I have and own a few. Hot wings with franks hot sauce. RCA 6L6GC black plates for power. preamps vary at times, Mullards, RCA, amperex, Bendix 5751 to 12AX7 ecc83 . the weird thing about these is that you have to reverse the polarity in your speaker. Something to do with the verb reverses polarity at the speaker outs. I like the black and cream combo a lot , looks cool to me. The sound is so thick and rich. Kind of like my tone kings, the sound just expands and projects like the old fenders did in a way, using JBLs and altecs. Those speakers came stock with the RED being - and black + go figure?[/size']

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i65.tinypic.com\/21jp2xu.jpg"}[/img2]

That's a beauty! Would love to take it for a spin!

• Members
with band at rehearsal its still my sovtek midget50h with a 2x12cab in stereo with my BYOC Tweed Royal and my pedal board in front.

preamp tubes are sovteks 12ax* powertube are tubeampdoctor... the 2x12 is a fender cab loaded with celestion 70/80s and the tweed royal has a celestion vintage 30 in it.

at home when not playing unplugged i use my recently aquired Pignose amp which is a lot of fun and sounds great for such a small amp with such an old design. i also plug in between a battery power multi fx which is i guess a clone of the line6 pocket POD which i got from amazon for 30euro or so

The byoc TR sounds interesting. A tweed champ / deluxe, negative feedback control etc. A set of ken rad's or RCA's 6V6's would make things very interesting and killer in the studio.

Ah! pignose. I have a love affair with these. I have 2 of these. One is a 70's and the other a 80's. The 70's use a germanium transistor. Crank this thing up and sting the input with a Vintage LPB1 and you have yourself a cranked little Vintage Marshall. Really bad ass! I read somewhere Frank Zappa used these. The 80's use a silicon transistor with the use of a resistor to help it distort on its own when cranked. Another little cranked Marshall. You'll know the vintage ones by the red, white and blue on the inside cover of the electronics. I spoke to Howard from pignose a few years back and he told me , he can no longer afford to make them in the USA. Because they would cost his 3 times as much. So to keep the price down he did what many do...………….. That just might change before to long. Criminal politics? lol! added note, the cover on the 70's look more like leather and is thick. the 80's more like regular amp coverings.

Archived