how do you restore a sign that has worn out ?

mbengs1

• Members

Sign? It's called a Manufacturing Logo label. Its either melted into the plastic using a hot stamping process using plastic paint or using a stencil to stamp a label on there using a plastic epoxy as paint. You can tell the differences. The stenciled paint tends to chip or wear off and leaves the plastic smooth below. The Hot stamp actually melts the ink into the plastic. It can be done when making the cover or "branded" like you'd brand cattle afterwards using hot ink. When the color wears off the plastic still shows the impression

You want to fix it the existing cover, buy a new pickups. There's no way you're going to master either of these processes without getting into plastic manufacturing.

Unless you want to stick a label on it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tdymoomega.jpg?lastmod=1514307474.1522243331.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t95.3 KB ID:\t32290083","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32290083","data-size":"full","title":"dymoomega.jpg?lastmod=1514307474.1522243331.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Manufacturers don't sell labels. They are either stamped on like a printer or they use a decal. They aren't going to re-stamp them for you and they have enough problems with people pirating their logo and sticking it on counterfeit pickups.

I suppose you could get a white decal made but good lick on having it last for more then a few days.

What I do when a logo gets ragged out is get some ultra fine sand paper and sand it off completely.

Then I use swirl remover and polish the tops to get a nice shine back to the plastic.

• Members
In this case' date=' I mean a pickup with a name on it, 'dimarzio ibz'. it has faded a bit and i'm wondering how to restore it like it was new. smiley-surprised[/quote']

Stuff happens, usually in a case like that I just throw away or give the guitar away. I'm buy a new, and I don' mean a used new one to me. I mean spanky new out of the box.

Besides in an Ibanez

I have a couple of original Steve Via GEM for like 1988, the flowers all dried up and fell off the guitar.

one looked like this

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"latest?cb=20081022060804.jpg","data-attachmentid":32290145}[/ATTACH]

The other was like this so maybe it was a later model. IDK.

I called up Ibanez to see if there was a recall or sumton and they told me I was crazy.

I was so mad, I sold both and have never owned on of there guitars again.

Crazy I'm not

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"JEM-BFP-750x400.jpg","data-attachmentid":32290146}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Actually Yes. Most people use the Brothers Type electronic label makers however. They are actually very handy in a studio for labeling cords and patch bays, mixer mics etc. I even use them for labeling the foot pedals I've built.

• Members

You're not talking about a decal or label, it's silk screened--painted on. Over time it rubs off, especially if you play vigorously or change pickups often. Once it's gone, it's gone. FWIW, my bridge pickup says "Duncan Designed" but the neck pickup is blank. I bought the guitar used but I've never lost any sleep over it and neither should you.

Archived