does wireless work well with guitars and other instruments?

samal50

• Members

I've heard mostly of wireless mics being popular and sometimes guitars too, but not so much with bass guitars or keyboards. Does wireless NOT work well with other type of instruments or what? How about wireless headphones?

• Members

[video=youtube;l1z8X-VSUrE]

Jan`s also a bit wireless up top .Wireless headphones are funny cause you keep expecting to get your head yanked back when you stand up and think your gonna stand on the headphone lead ,The best thing i like about wireless headphones is that you can go make a cup of tea or go to the loo while still listening to whatever in your headphones ,it`s a new freedom we should celebrate with a public holiday.

• Members

Wireless transmitters are made for different purposes. The difference in quality in both reception and fidelity quite different.

There are two main types of wireless which are based on the impedance and signal strength. The type made for mics are typically lower impedance and have higher mic gain levels so they can boost a weak mic signal up. The receiver typically provides a line level signal for a PA system.

Instrument transmitters have a high impedance instrument level preamp. The receivers typically have a variable instrument gain level which is ideal for a guitar amp's higher gain preamp or it can be adjusted to a line level when an electric acoustic plugged into a PA.

As far as Fidelity goes you only need to look at the specs on them. Most made today provide a full 20~20Khz frequency response for the transmitter and receiver so it shouldn't tone suck the signal.

Also the type of instrument used has little impact so long as the impedance matches. My Bass player uses the same wireless guitarists use and sounds fantastic. They don't make them separate for guitar and bass players. Maybe the reason you don't see Bassists use them is the same reason bassists typically don't use any pedals. Its not important to them getting their sound, nor is the need to move around on stage. They tend to stick with the drummer.

For keyboard, unless they are playing a Keytar or pulling an Edgar Winter Frankenstein Imitation, you don't see many keyboard players strapping up, plus you have the power cables to consider.

Horn players typically use Microphone Transmitters. I had a sax player use one with the matching clip on mic which sounded fantastic.

Anything a drummer might do to be mobile with acoustic drums would require a mic too. I suppose they could strap on an electric drum set and use a Guitar transmitter so long as its line level output could be attenuated down to prevent distortion. Like I said an electric acoustic is no problem either. My buddy uses one all the time at gigs.

• Members

I got free tix to see Chris Young. I didn't even know who he was, but the Drive By Truckers were the warm-up. I was like wtf. I'm a concert junkie and anyway.

Chirs Young was all over the theatre. when play, same the guitar guys.

20-25 feet on a leash wasn't gonna cut it for that choreography.

For me, I have zero reasons to do a wireless, unless I got me into some song and dance numbers.

They work better than ever.

• Members

I can name a dozen times when the wireless made the show. Buddy Guy playing in the mosh pit surrounded by sweet young things. That fantastic fiddle player in Trans Siberian Orchestra playing on the lifts and scaffolding. Duffy Bishop entering the venue from the very back and walking thru the crowd to get to the stage. And probably the coolest was an old blues harp player who got down off the stage, walked out the door and down the street to the corner where he blew cross harp to traffic while the band and audience didn't miss a beat.

• Members

Angus Young was hitting a brick wall recording a new album. This was SEVERAL years, mebbe decades ago. He told the producer he simply wasn't getting his sound because he wasn't using his wireless for his guitar....The producer,( I forget who) told him "Hell get your wireless then!". He did....Recorded the entire album using it...Bet he still does.

• Members
Angus Young was hitting a brick wall recording a new album. This was SEVERAL years' date=' mebbe decades ago. He told the producer he simply wasn't getting his sound because he wasn't using his wireless for his guitar....The producer,( I forget who) told him "Hell get your wireless then!". He did....Recorded the entire album using it...Bet he still does. [/quote']

Angus has probs got used the sound it puts into the amp because you can alter the output gain of the wirless unit which goes to the amp, kind of a pre amp effect, i wonder if it also colours the sound aswell, didn`t Angus used to carry his in the school satchel on his back in the 70`s

Angus Young was hitting a brick wall recording a new album. This was SEVERAL years' date=' mebbe decades ago. He told the producer he simply wasn't getting his sound because he wasn't using his wireless for his guitar....The producer,( I forget who) told him "Hell get your wireless then!". He did....Recorded the entire album using it...Bet he still does. [/quote']

I've done records where we literally brought what amounted to a PA system into the studio. We put stacks of speakers on either side of the singer, wired them out of phase, positioned the singer exactly in between them, and instead of one of my usual go-to studio vocal mics (like a 251) we gave the singer a SM58 to hand-hold - all in an effort to put the singer into something as close as possible to their natural environment and get the best possible performances out of them...

That's the goal, and you do whatever it takes. :)

• Members

I've done records where we literally brought what amounted to a PA system into the studio. We put stacks of speakers on either side of the singer, wired them out of phase, positioned the singer exactly in between them, and instead of one of my usual go-to studio vocal mics (like a 251) we gave the singer a SM58 to hand-hold - all in an effort to put the singer into something as close as possible to their natural environment and get the best possible performances out of them...

That's the goal, and you do whatever it takes. :)

Exactly.

I was at local studio decades ago, we did some of it live and the touched up what we needed. I left the door to the drum room open a bit so the whole thing gently bleed in the 2 live guitars. Gave it an airy quality.

To this day I love mic placed when doing recording, even in a not so good room , like my old celler it can give record nice vibe.

Plus we were play more like band .

Did’t the Beatles record the Let It Be album like that?

I still like 3 mics on a kit and maybe one for the room, but you need to have a drummer that in control

Archived