hum from my guitar

mbengs1

• Members
one of my guitars has a hum problem. I checked the wiring and it was all good. I didn't check the output jack though. even with the noise gate on' date=' you can hear the hiss and hum. what causes this ?[/quote']

you didn`t say if it was wearing humbuckers or not.

• Moderators

Single coils are going to give you that lovely 60Hz hum, unless you have a reverse wound one in there to cancel. If the p-ups are humbuckers, if you have a ohm meter / multimeter, check to see if the bridge is grounded to the output jack. If not, you need to fix that.

Also check the polarity on your amp if is a two prong plug [typical in the PI].

• Members

you didn`t say if it was wearing humbuckers or not.

It's a humbucker equipped guitar. 1 neck 1 bridge and a single coil in the middle. typical Ibanez rg. I checked the output jack too and nothing was wrong.

• Members

It's a humbucker equipped guitar. 1 neck 1 bridge and a single coil in the middle. typical Ibanez rg. I checked the output jack too and nothing was wrong.

if you checked the output jack and everything is ok up to that point , then whatever is next in the chain is faulty... lead,fx, amp.

• Members

bad ground to pickups could be the problem or maybe the string ground wasn't connected.

The bridge or tailpiece gets grounded so when you touch the strings your body becomes a big grounding plate to absorb hum before it gets to the guitar wiring. Since you been wiring up your own pickups I'd think the string ground would be the first thing you'd miss.

String ground is typically a bare wire that gets soldered to the same ground as the pickups. If you don't know it exists and specifically make sure it was connected its most likely the thing you missed when installing different pickups.

Archived