I Have P90's That Sound More Like Humbuckers Than P90's?

mikesr1963

• Members

I bought a beautiful Agile LP style guitar last year off CL. Truly sweet guitar that plays great hell it even sounds great but it just seems to have more humbucker sound than P90. Before I research investing in another set of P90 pickups I want to ask if there is something I can try, adjustment wise that one of you may have had success with in dialing in a better P90 sound?

13887096_1271687046176411_6488319351790074419_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEw7JFE47MVdvxRZOiyX5WLLXwj-c2RC2chJS6Ut4QdfqVOkoSb-N0EI0VzXcr2y_9NObXPo5Jx-lzFPXxLVRs5ROs951Xam39y--vUB-ljdA&oh=7aeb2ec9def7bb9378af3b1780f0ee35&oe=5B7999A1

• Members

The reason I ask is because Gibson P90s are quire noisy but they (Gibson) also make a P100 which is a noise cancelling (humbucking) version of the P90.

I like the sound of P100s but some players say they are not P90 enough. Perhaps your pickups are built like P100s.

• Members
Try raising the pickups ?

Wouldn't that make them thicker? Which actually isn't too bad. You get more signal per hum (which remains constant) and if you don't like the darker tone there's always different caps/pots/treble bleed etc...

• Members

Wouldn't that make them thicker? Which actually isn't too bad. You get more signal per hum (which remains constant) and if you don't like the darker tone there's always different caps/pots/treble bleed etc...

In my case, I thought they were already a little high so I plugged into my rig and brought the pickups down. Way down really. Set an open tuning and just strummed across all the strings until I found the growl I was looking for. When it was said and down the pickups still looked closer than my gut would think but the sound is there.

Archived