What kind of pickups are you using in your Tele?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I don't own a tele but I've built four. To of them have Golden Age tele specific pickups - seem to be good reasonably priced generic twangy pickups. People who play those guitar say "thats what a tele should sound like"

One of them got a set of Budz with his P90 in the neck. Again, this player liked them, has used that guitar on his last album.

Forth got a set of Lindy Fralins. I had some issues with their initial installation but tech support was great. You'll have to ask Grant How he likes them after a couple of months.

Next time I'm in Tacoma I want to stop by Lollar and meet Jason. I understand that they have a room of guitars with different models of their pups - in theory you can find a guitar like you own and see what it sounds like with their p/u's.

• Members

I have the Wilde(Bill Lawrence) L45S/L48TL in my partscaster.

Like most of Bills pickups they are designed to be colorless. Just perfectly wound to exactly reproduce the vibrations they convert to an electrical signal. They are humbuckers and noiseless but sound like single coils.

This guitar has a cheap lightweight pawlonia body with a really nice Allparts TMO Fat neck. Therefore it has an airy quality to it that reminds me of a f hole Tele. These pups are gonna sound like what guitar body and neck their attached to. Very versatile pickups. They twang. They chime. They also rock with a vengeance. Some say they are Barden like but possibly more versatile. Also they are practically free compared to a lot of boutique winders.

For a more traditional 60s Tele sound try a set of his Keystones.

• Members

In my Douglas thinline copy, I still have the original pickups in it, wired to Bill Lawrence's 5 way switching diagram. Actually quite nice for ceramic pickups with a nice vintage vibe.

For my JB Player Professional,Twisted tele in the neck, and some off brand Alnico 8 for the bridge. Also have a parallel push/pull switch added. The Twisted sounds wonderful to my ears, with that neck tone only an old Tele has. the Alnico 8, a bit hotter, with a more modern groove to it. The best of both worlds.

• Members

I really like the Fralin Stock Tele set, but they're way more clean and "country" for lack of a better term than I'm used to. I put an OCD clone in front of the amp to push it a bit more and that expands their sound vastly. Might have used Blues Specials knowing what I know now.

• Members

I went with Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups and have been happy with them,especially the neck. I mainly use neck or both more than the bridge alone ,but like some twang once in a while...

• Members

Rio Grande "Muy Grandes" (4 way switch) in my main Tele. Turn the guitar volume down, they sing; turn it up, they roar.

Two Danelectro lipsticks and a Kent Armstrong bridge pickup (5 way switch) in another. Once I get them balanced out, I think it'll be a fairly useful guitar.

Two ceramic P90s (4 way) in another. Doesn't sound much like a Tele at all, but that's not what I was going for.

Collecting parts for two more projects based on Teles. So many guitars, so little time!

• Members

I have two teles. One is a MIJ '52 Reissue that I put Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks in. The bridge pickup kicks like a stock tele pickup and the neck has a warm strat like sound to it. I call it my 'tele' tele because of the traditional sound.

My Warmoth build has Kinman pickups which I find to be fantastic. Well rounded even tone which makes the guitar very versatile. As Chris Kinman promised, the pickups sound so good, the fact they are noisless is a bonus. It is one of my main guitars and, if I could only have one guitar, it would certainly be a contender.

I went with Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups and have been happy with them' date='especially the neck. I mainly use neck or both more than the bridge alone ,but like some twang once in a while...[/quote']

I like the idea of noiseless pickups, but I keep hearing that they lack a certain something... they don't twang like they should. Is that untrue in your experience?

My Warmoth build has Kinman pickups which I find to be fantastic. Well rounded even tone which makes the guitar very versatile. As Chris Kinman promised, the pickups sound so good, the fact they are noisless is a bonus. It is one of my main guitars and, if I could only have one guitar, it would certainly be a contender.

I've read a lot of good things about the Kinman pickups...

• Members

I like the idea of noiseless pickups, but I keep hearing that they lack a certain something... they don't twang like they should. Is that untrue in your experience?

The Duncan Vintage Stacks sound very 'tele' to me. It seems there was no compromise when I replaced the originals in my '52 re-issue.

Maybe what you are missing is the intermodulation distortion that occurs when every note you play mixes with a bit of 60Hz.

• Members

I've read a lot of good things about the Kinman pickups...

I highly recommend them - well worth tbe premium price.

I also have set in my JV Stratocaster. I had Lace Sensors in it for a while and, although there was a bit of a compromise in tone, it was worth it because there was no noise. When I put the Kinmans in, it was like getting my old pickups back but without the noise or string pull from the magnets.

• Members

This is true, but I found a sound I like so I take what it gives me and use it. I have plans for an additional tele some day and it will use something different. Likely a neck mini-bucker

The Duncan Vintage Stacks sound very 'tele' to me. It seems there was no compromise when I replaced the originals in my '52 re-issue.

Maybe what you are missing is the intermodulation distortion that occurs when every note you play mixes with a bit of 60Hz.

Mmm... maybe, but I don't think that's what I'm (not) hearing. It's more in the upper-MR/HF region - it's lacking a touch of the rasp, the snarl, the snap... I have a set of Bill Lawrence designed Fender SCN's in my Tele ATM and they're a nice sound for sure, but it's not quite the same thing sonically as say, this...

@ ~3.05... :eek2::love:

[video=youtube;Vg7XyHLTHzc]

Cool or heresy?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4517-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t209.0 KB ID:\t32240365","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32240365","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4517-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Definitely cool IMO - but not what I'm personally looking for ATM.

• Members

In my Tele Partscaster, I have a set of SD Antiquities. These are the most rounded Telecaster pickups I have heard. They have a super sweet high end and all the Tele snap you would want. My other Telecaster is a Nashville that I won in a lottery. The come stock with a set of the noiseless pickups. I can't put my finger on it but since it's a Tele/Strat sound you don't get the Telecaster sonics that one would expect from a Telecaster. I added a push/pull pot to get the neck/bridge option and it's almost there.

• Members

Built a tele with Fender Original '52's...love it...sound very authentic and like a tele should.

Bought a Fender FSR dual blacktop humbucker tele....liked it a lot ...but could not leave well enough alone :). SO, put in dual Gibson 490's. Good...but....did not give me the LP sound I thought it would. SO...those are going into a new LP body. Would LOVE to put in two soap bar P90's into the tele...but have to settle for humbucker sized P90's. So...set of Tonerider Rebel 90's going in soon.

Great thing about tele's is that they have enough real estate to make the guitar into anything you want. Also, single vol and tone makes playing simple. I like it a lot.

• Moderators

My Fender Modern Player Thinline Tele [Chinese] came stock with P90s. And yeah, it is not the traditional tele sound, but it has a very complex and unique voice especially with both on and their individual tones adjusted.

My other Tele is a Hard Luck Kings Southern Belle. Cheap as they come, and I am getting ready to put a Buzz Feiten bridge p-up in it because their stock bridge p-up lacks that 'snap', but it does have some twang. I'm going to upgrade the pots to CTS when I do the swap out, as well.

Archived