A lifetime of electric guitar says 'laurel' - definitely.

Chordite

• Members

This Laurel vs Yanni thing is interesting in that I bet nearly everyone who has played rock guitar for a lifetime hears Laurel.

Whereas fresh innocent ears hear Yanni

Until I heard the filtered above and below 1500 hz versions I refused to believe there was a yanni there at all.

Here is the original and an explainer

[video=youtube_share;yDiXQl7grPQ]

• Members

This morning I was watching Steven Colbert and he played this. First time I had caught wind of it and I was not reading the names. He played several times on his show with the audience and then with different people from the White House. On his show I heard Laurel. On the White House clip I heard both Yanni and Laurel.

• Members

This is interesting, it suggests that different people hear different music. Some are hearing the high frequency song and some are hearing the low frquency song.

Its a mixing engineers nightmare.

It also explains to me why I always think my speakers are crap but phones are perfect.

• Members

Given that I clearly heard Laurel the first two times (car radio and computer speaker) and clearly hear Yanni now on computer speaker

with the above clip I have a feeling that there might be TWO versions circulating.

A Yanni version and a Laurel version to further complicate matters!

• Members
Given that I clearly heard Laurel the first two times (car radio and computer speaker) and clearly hear Yanni now on computer speaker

with the above clip I have a feeling that there might be TWO versions circulating.

I think so too.

Kids have been wearing earbuds since almost birth.

That's got to be tuff on your hearing, and they will find of soon.

• Members

I smell goosers. When I first heard the pitch shift trick I heard Laurel and then Yanni. The last time I heard it (might be a different clip) it was Laurel and Yallee - just like somebody else here. The guy whose voice it is says the word is laurel per a dictionary listing. So how did Yanni come about and just who and why TF was somebody checking anyway?

• Members

What you hear is largely dependent on the frequency content of the source, and the frequency content your ears can hear. Your two listening experiences were on very different types of audio systems with very different frequency characteristics. Computer speakers are balanced toward the high end, and thats where the "yanni frequencies" are.

• Members

What you hear is largely dependent on the frequency content of the source, and the frequency content your ears can hear. Your two listening experiences were on very different types of audio systems with very different frequency characteristics. Computer speakers are balanced toward the high end, and thats where the "yanni frequencies" are.

I hear ya! And know where you are coming from.

However you probably didn't notice this part...

"Given that I clearly heard Laurel the first two times (car radio and computer speaker) and clearly hear Yanni now on computer speaker"

Same computer, same speakers.

Archived