Pop, crackles...

Jazzer2020

• Members

I'm getting the dreaded pop/crackles on one of my guitars at the input jack.

When it does it and I wiggle the cord, it either gets worse or stops.

I've tried spraying with contact cleaner but it hasn't helped.

Is there a tried and true method for fixing this quickly and easily?

TIA

• Members
Take the jack out of the guitar' date=' sand the end of the prong with a piece of sand paper or emory board, [b']bend it SLIGHTY towards the jack tip[/b], then try it. Also, try another cable. if that doesn't fix it, replace the jack.

this is usually the culprit for me. Sometimes the jacks need to "retensioned".

• Members

I have noticed that jack plug design has changed since I was young from ball end to a tapered or conical end and that 60s era sockets don't seem happy with the 'pointy' plugs. I don't know if the contour of the sprung tang was changed subtly when they changed the plug tip.

• Members
I have noticed that jack plug design has changed since I was young from ball end to a tapered or conical end and that 60s era sockets don't seem happy with the 'pointy' plugs. I don't know if the contour of the sprung tang was changed subtly when they changed the plug tip.

You might be onto something there!

I decided to start by trying the easiest solution; changing guitar cords.

Still have more experimenting to do but with the second cord I had a session of around 30 minutes with no pop/crackles.

The first thing I noticed when I plugged in the second cord was that it pushed itself out of the jack a bit.

I went back and checked the first cord and noticed it too pushed back a little, but not as much as the second one.

Looking at the two plugs I see clearly that they are not the same length; the offending one is noticeably shorter.

So this could be a shape of plug issue. More to follow later...

• Members

Sounds like the thing is bent to me.

This is a handy trick, I have seen before.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Jacks/Switchcraft_Output_Jack.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2018-05-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2ybYixusiAj0kN7ZqpkLY oGB747pzrY7_XXNjGdhvwwBEJbZFmheJVBoClMEQAvD_BwE

[video=youtube;PDfKRTPj9es]

[video=youtube;g5PClhQIe8k]

Archived