I put a Dimarzio Evolution in a MIM strat

mbengs1

• Members

I was just gonna test if it would sound the same as my JEM. They both have the same wood except the JEM has a Ibanez Edge pro that can affect the tone a lot. They do sound similar. Is it a good idea to put a pickup like the evolution on a fender strat? I don't really care because it doesn't matter if the guitar plays fast or slow. there's a way to adjust between the feel of a modern and a classic guitar. I think a good addition is that the evolution seems to bring out the shape of the guitar its in.

• Members
You sure come up with some weird ideas sometimes' date=' buddy. Not trying to insult you, just sayin'...[/quote']

I also put a dimarzio fred on an Ibanez S and a tone zone on my Ibanez artcore. It doesn't matter what guitar you put it cuz you still get the character of the pickup upfront.

it a good idea to put a pickup like the evolution on a fender strat? I don't really care because it doesn't matter if the guitar plays fast or slow. there's a way to adjust between the feel of a modern and a classic guitar. I think a good addition is that the evolution seems to bring out the shape of the guitar its in.

If you like the way the pickup sounds, I see no reason not to mount it into whatever guitar you want to use it with. :idk:

• Members

It may or may not work out. I've done many guitar builds over the years and mixed and matched all kinds of pickups.

What usually fails is using a Hot would pickup with a high DC resistance with a vintage wind. If the pickups outputs aren't a close enough match you may have an abnormally huge jump is gain changing pickups which can make it difficult or impossible to balance out electronically.

Thar pickup has a DC resistance: 13.84. That's nearly triple many Strat single coils. Magnet strength is a factor in generating a signal too but I'd be up for betting you'll have a poor match based on my own experience. What will likely happen is you dial up a decent tone on the HB and when you switch to singles its way too weak. Do it the other way around, dial up a decent single coil sound and the HB winds up having too much gain and mud.

I have used Dimarzio pups matched with single coils very successfully. My absolute favorite is the one EVH used, the Cream Colored super distortion made for Mighty Mite. I think it was a 1400 model Its got a DC resistance around 8~9K and matches most single coils very well. I've tried many other Humbuckers with mixed results, Most of the failures were because the pickup was too hot and you cant get a balance from adjusting the height only.

• Members

If you like the way the pickup sounds, I see no reason not to mount it into whatever guitar you want to use it with. :idk:

Oh yeah, I agree 100%.

It was the fast/slow...modern/classic...shape of the guitar..comments I was referring to.

• Members
I was just gonna test if it would sound the same as my JEM. They both have the same wood except the JEM has a Ibanez Edge pro that can affect the tone a lot. They do sound similar. Is it a good idea to put a pickup like the evolution on a fender strat? I don't really care because it doesn't matter if the guitar plays fast or slow. there's a way to adjust between the feel of a modern and a classic guitar. I think a good addition is that the evolution seems to bring out the shape of the guitar its in.

Let's takes this apart, shall we?

They DO NOT have the same wood. Ibanez uses Basswood, with epoxy, color, then finish. Fender uses multipiece alder, primer, color, finish.

Ibanez has a 24 fret neck, with a locking nut, and the Floyd like creature. Fender has the 22 fret neck, plastic nutish thing, and a fulcrum trem.

One retails for about the 2K mark, the other, the 600 mark.

Fast or slow playing guitar? Do you have an idea of what you mean?

If you don't care, they why on earth do you waste the bandwidth to speak?

• Members

Let's takes this apart, shall we?

They DO NOT have the same wood. Ibanez uses Basswood, with epoxy, color, then finish. Fender uses multipiece alder, primer, color, finish.

Ibanez has a 24 fret neck, with a locking nut, and the Floyd like creature. Fender has the 22 fret neck, plastic nutish thing, and a fulcrum trem.

One retails for about the 2K mark, the other, the 600 mark.

Fast or slow playing guitar? Do you have an idea of what you mean?

If you don't care, they why on earth do you waste the bandwidth to speak?

Yes the Ibanez and the fender are very different. but since the wood combination (alder body + maple neck + rosewood board) is the same, it should sound pretty similar. but I know there are other factors like chambering of the body. I noticed my strat has chambering going under the pickguard. I think that affects the midrange quality. But I think it still sounds outstanding even with 10-46 guage strings on it.

• Members

Yes the Ibanez and the fender are very different. but since the wood combination (alder body + maple neck + rosewood board) is the same, it should sound pretty similar. but I know there are other factors like chambering of the body. I noticed my strat has chambering going under the pickguard. I think that affects the midrange quality. But I think it still sounds outstanding even with 10-46 guage strings on it.

Alder =/= basswood.

• Members

The Dimarzio Evolution is an excellent Metal / Hard Rock pickup. I put one in the bridge position of my 1974 Gibson LPC with Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the neck and the guitar is one mean Metal mofo !!!!

The Evo sounds decent when split.

A few years ago, a friend and I traded me an a Carvin M22SD, old 1970's Bill Lawrence L-250 and some cash, for an old non fine tuner Floyd Rose ( which I have three more ) I had stored away.

The M22SD is pretty much a Dimarzio Evolution, but with clearer bass ( even when pushed hard ), better upper mids and with the 22 pole pieces, I can add a lot more treble than the Evo. Plus when split the M22SD sounds much greater on a acoustic guitar simulator than an Evo.

Archived