Pickguard Static

gardo

• Members

How to eliminate pickguard static . Dryer sheets only work for a while. Is the static generated between the pg and the fingers or between the pg and the body.? I hear it when my hand moves so I'm guessing it's the fingers

• Members

If the pick guard cellulite? Most pick guards on Strat type guitars are made of PVC. Along with the grounded foil they typically shouldn't be developing any static. The ground foil should bleed it off immediately. Other plastics may generate higher static levels but I've never seen it happen.

As far as what's generating it - it takes cool and very dry conditions to generate static. Typically a natural fiber like the hair on your arms or a wool shirt will do it when rubbed against an ungrounded insulator like a glass or plastic rod.

As far as eliminating it the foil will do the trick. You cant use regular furniture polish too. It typically contains allot of moisture and waxes which should help dissipate any charges. Wear different shirts too. I don't think you need to resort to shaving your arms.

I suppose after applying the foil you could also wipe a thin coat of fabric softener inside the cavity and let it dry. Water it down and It should carry away all static. Its the silicone in it that does the trick. Silicone is a conductor for static and prevents it from building up. I still have a gallon of optical polish called Brillinize I've used in my industry for 40 years. Its mostly water and silicone. We used it on copier machines and printers. The static when feeding paper over the glass became so strong it would slow the feed belts till they stopped. You treat it with that polish and it killed all the static.

We used to sprits the carpet in front of the machine too so peoples shoes wouldn't generate a spark.

Archived