Question for Kiesel/Carvin H2T owners

dvkerner96

• Members

Carvin knows the weights of the guitars they have in stock, and the average weight of every model with the standard woods, but they don't have an H2T in stock right now, and the woods I'd have on mine aren't the standard woods. So I thought it might be better to ask owners of the guitars, maybe someone has a similar configuration to what I'd like.

• Members

I believed your guess, Freeman, I just wanted as many examples as possible so I could have a big picture! Thank you for posting that link, of all the times I checked the guitars in stock page, I haven't seen that particular one until now. That one has koa top, and mine would have a maple top. Do you know what the weight difference between maple and koa is? Also, I'm not sure if that particular one is chambered or not, since chambering has become an option rather than standard (contrary to the description on the right).

• Members

My wood chart gives the density of koa as 610 kg/m3 and maple as 755 kg/m3 (thats a cubic meter). That means if the tops are equal size and thickness and have the same chambering and cutouts the maple will be quite a bit heavier. Just what you didn't want to know, eh?

FWIW, the Spanish cedar top on the chambered LP that I showed you in the other thread has a density of 470 kg/m3, considerably lighter than either koa or maple and remember that guitar was in the 7-3/4 pound range.

• Members

I'll add a second comment here. We spend a lot of time debating the affect of various components and parameters on the sound of guitars - for example what do different woods contribute to the overall sound. I happen to believe that woods make a huge difference on acoustic guitars but very little on electrics - and while I've seen many studies on acoustics as far as I know there is no scholarly work on electrics.

For acoustics the properties of interest are the strength and stiffness (Youngs modulus) and the density - stiffer woods like spruces tend to have better vibrational characteristics, the density factors into the sustain and decay of the note.

The one property of wood that I think makes a difference in electric guitars is the density - all things considered I believe a less dense piece of wood will dampen the strings energy much more than a dense piece of wood. I have no evidence of this and frankly think it would be very hard to measure and even harder to hear.

We think we can hear a difference between the chambered LP with the Spanish cedar top and the solid one with the maple cap - remember, 1-1/2 pounds difference. That isn't a good scientific comparison - two variables, possibly interrelated. And frankly the differences are so slight that the only way we can hear them are playing the two guitars back to back, A/B thru the same amp (and everything else). And frankly, they both sound pretty good

• Members

Thank you for the information! It really does seem like the build I am thinking about won't be as light as I want it to be, so I'm now considering going with the headless version of the same model. Although, I'm worried that the headless version would have a thinner tone because of the smaller body and lack of a headstock. Do you think that is a reasonable concern, or do you think those variables (smaller body and no headstock) wouldn't make a difference if everything else is the same? The smaller body would also be chambered.

• Members

I have absolutely no experience with headless guitars - I think there are people on this forum who do and can answer your questions. I also went back to that Keisel link above to see if I could tell what a headless version would look like - I did notice two things. The guitar apparently has been sold and they give a second weight as 6.9 pounds - thats damn near what my chambered Lester weighs.

Frankly, instead of asking a bunch of strangers at an on line guitar forum for information that they are guessing at on a guitar that we've never seen, I think you should call your custom builder, discuss exactly what you want and let them guesstimate what its going to weigh (and cost). I can think of all sorts of ways to eliminate an ounce here and there, price goes up as the weight goes down.

• Members

So here is an interesting factoid. I was looking for some information on LP Studios - I knew that the modern ones were "weight relieved". According to Gibson a "raw" body weights 4.71 lb on the average

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-OLD/Body.aspx

I can't find anywhere where Gibson gives the weight of the complete guitar.

• Members

Thank you for posting that link! I think those particular guitars are usually around 7 lbs or so when they're complete, but I'm sure there are a few lighter ones around! Wildwood guitars has a great website where they show the weights of every guitar in stock, and the lightest Les Paul style guitars I've seen on there are the ES Les Pauls.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here are the specs for what I ended up ordering:

Kiesel HH2 (Headless)

•R handed, no tremolo

•Mahogany neck and body, one piece neck, chambered body

•Plain Maple Top

•Translucent Crimson Red body and neck color

•Gloss covering whole guitar

•Rosewood fingerboard

•Dot white mother of pearl inlays

•Evo medium jumbo frets (.103w, .048h)