The ibanez Rg320 i have doesn't feel right

mbengs1

• Members

I bought Ibanez rg320 on ebay a decade ago. I think the previous owner did something to it because it feels different from all my 25.5 scaled guitars. It really has a different ring to the notes. I describe it as feeling more like a PRS. it's a little looser and has less snap than a regular strat style guitar. I checked the distance of the trem posts to the nut and the distance is almost the same. I also notice the open strings are out of tune when you tune at the 5th fret. I think the neck scale was changed, the bridge was moved closer to the nut but I don't know it. I just ordered a new Ibanez bridge to replace the old bridge too. what's wrong with my rg320 Ibanez?

• Members

You need to have the guitar set up properly. Tuning at the 5th fret is approximate at best. That's just how guitars are. I take it you don't have access to a tuner app, keyboard, pitch pipe, etc.? Take some measurements of your other guitars (action, relief, nut height) and compare them to this one. I'd normally suggest taking it to a qualified tech but from some of your other posts you don't appear to have access to one. Finally, bear in mind that different guitars do sound subtly different from one another.

• Members

Repeat after me...... IN-TO-NAT-ION. Good, got that? Let's try another. ACT-ION. Now this is a big one, so take your time with it. NECK RE-LIEF.

Seriously? Your intonation is out. No one has replaced the bridge, locking nut, neck, or had little gremlins living inside the guitar for 10 YEARS living unused in your closet. Is it possible someone changed the neck before you bought it 10 YEARS ago? Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely. It's an Ibanez neck, for an RG, right? Then it's the same scale length as every other RG. (NOT including baritones and multiscales,. But you aren't ready for that yet, now are you?)

If the bridge posts haven't been moved, then the scale is right. Period, end of discussion. You DO NOT need a new bridge. Now it may be possible that you have the bridge at some stupidly high angle, that the intonation can't be adjusted, but even you couldn't make that kind of idiot mistake. Or could you? You do seem to be able to surprise us at times.

But the biggest question here is: How can you have a guitar for 10 YEARS and JUST discover the problem NOW??

• Members

I played it 2 days ago before having it fixed. I'm having it done so it will feel like a 25.5 scale guitar again. I think that means moving the trem posts back 0.5mm. It has to be that, if it isn't it's fine with me.

Archived