Bent neck on Yamaha Pacifica 112J, Where can I get a new one?

ishj

• Members

Mauritius unfortunately has no luthier to sort things out: the neck is noticeably bent, there are some high frets forcing me to use a high action. Getting a new donor guitar is too expensive, and getting rid of of this one is not an option due to the sentimental value it holds. I have looked for replacement necks to no avail. Where can I get one?

• Members

Without measurements I couldn't tell you what might fit, Yamaha might be able to sell you a neck. If I had the neck I could build you a new one. Of course you can buy a new 112J for less than I could build one.

Of course the bigger question is, what do you mean by "bent"? When I refret necks (another possibility) I always plane them flat to begin with, then put the appropriate relief in when I do the setup.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...la-41/1125703-

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...cifica-project

ps - Welcome to HCEG

• Members

I don't know were you live but I bought a 112 for $60 with a straight neck used.Even the ones over priced never go for more than $150.Cheaper than a replacement neck. Pics would really be nice to see the problem.

• Members

I can't tell from your pictures - is the truss rod nut at the head or the heel? What kind of nut and size is it? Is it rounded because its too tight and someone has tried to tighten it more or was the wrong size wrench used? Can the nut be removed and replaced?

What is the relief and action? Which frets are high? How do you know they are high - have you rocked them? Have you tried leveling them?

Lets put this in perspective. A new Chinese neck for a Fender runs $100 - 200 (that would be a Mighty Mite neck or equivalent) and they almost always require fretwork and setup. Assuming we can find a neck like that that fits I would allow another 100 to put it all together. An American made neck (Warmoth) can easily run $300 to 400, there will still be some minor fretwork and setup. If I had your neck in my hands and I leveled and refretted it it could easily cost $250 (and I would only do that if the truss rod was functional). If I had your neck in my hands and made you a duplicate it could easily cost you $500.

• Members

I buy every cheap broken whatever Yamaha I can find in pawn shops, yard sales &c---typically decent bodies, necks and hardware, good platforms for mods.

My experience with Yamaha strat-style guitars is that standard Fender dimension necks fit. If you can find one for a decent price, it may fix you right up.

ishj, I've visited Mauritius, back in '82 or so. Lovely island. Had a friend who worked at the US embassy that I kept in touch with for a while, but after the government changed, we lost touch. Too bad.

Archived