Which Guitar ? Rock-a-billy Edition

gardo

• Members

Watching it now.

:D:D:D:D

I don't play rock a billy, but about 20 years ago I stated getting in to bigger semi hollow body guitars and then a few full hollow bodies.

I have stuff like and es 335 dot

a es 135

Rickenbackers

a couple of godin 5 th aves

a couple of Gretsch's

and most recently a es 275

I'm with this guy about having a guitar that feels good in your paws, that will make you play better.

Same with amps.

You can never have too much gear, but you need to pick and choose a few choice playing instruments and refine your sound from there.

• Members
The single biggest revelation for me when it comes to that kind of sound was when I first tried flatwound strings. Roundwounds with a plain G string came along later, and they really make a big difference in the sound.

I have flat wounds set up on one of the Godins ( the one with one pickup). I was trying to do a more mellow jazzy tone with it.

• Members

Randy Richter is my rockabilly guitar teacher. (I bought some online lessons). That GUILD is what Duane Eddy used early on. But Herr Richter posted a video recently where he is playing a Les Paul w/ his Rockabilly band live.

At 1 minute & 1 second, he switches from drums to lead on a Les Paul.

o4eXlx8tpAA?t=1m1s

As far as T-Bone Burnett goes, no one should confuse his sound with the Rockabilly of the Burnett family. They're not related.

But here is a lost 1958 Rockabilly masterpiece that should throw everyone for a loop - if they have not heard it yet. Amazing cut.

This is pre-SURF. But I'll bet the Ventures & Surfaris listened to this record.

TARA records was a Houston label. The Moonlighters were an Arkansas band

I think. This record is from 1958. 60 years ago & it has aged very well.

ljeHDi2ZoiI

• Members
Rootsy Americana ala T-Bone Burnett? Or something with a heavier jazz influence?

More T-Bone style.

Or more like Jason Isbell when he toured with Justin Towns Earle. Toss in a little David Rawlings, that is if Dave plugged in, and lil whoever did the guitar work on the Ryan Bingham albums.

[video=youtube;UD4q_ej6mLM]

[video=youtube;vf9lvU8_JUo]

I was initially using one of these Godins. They were pretty cheap at the time, I strung it up with dAddario Flat wound Chromes. With the Chromes it was kind of mellow. What I really wanted was a Gibson ES 125, but any decent one will set you back a pretty penny. Plus I just don't like buying stuff of the net that I can't send back.

The Godin was a GC purchase. No case, but I got a TKL hhard shell case for it that fit it like it was mae for it. I think the case was actually made for an Ibanez Jazzbox. The wood grian on mine looks way better than this, but they are made out of Cherry.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"electric-guitar-godin-5th-avenue-kingpin-p90-cognac-burst-inc-100-professional-setup-added-value-1.jpg?v=1488371379.jpg","data-attachmentid":32202340}[/ATTACH]

I dig the Godin, and then I bought another one, with the 2 P90 like pups. You got the Godin case with the guitar. but it's a weird case that really indestructible.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"kingpin-burg-full.jpg","data-attachmentid":32202339}[/ATTACH]

The last gigs I did was with a Gretsch TN Rose.

I play through a 65 PRRI or a Gibson Les Paul Goldtone 5 watt amp, depending on want I need.

Worked out perfectly to do fills inbetween the vocals.

Basically in the end I ran out of time to play in this band. they changed my hours at work, and made a real mess out of the work load this past year.

• Members

More T-Bone style.

Or more like Jason Isbell when he toured with Justin Towns Earle. Toss in a little David Rawlings, that is if Dave plugged in, and lil whoever did the guitar work on the Ryan Bingham albums.

[video=youtube;UD4q_ej6mLM]

[video=youtube;vf9lvU8_JUo]

I was initially using one of these Godins. They were pretty cheap at the time, I strung it up with dAddario Flat wound Chromes. With the Chromes it was kind of mellow. What I really wanted was a Gibson ES 125, but any decent one will set you back a pretty penny. Plus I just don't like buying stuff of the net that I can't send back.

The Godin was a GC purchase. No case, but I got a TKL hhard shell case for it that fit it like it was mae for it. I think the case was actually made for an Ibanez Jazzbox. The wood grian on mine looks way better than this, but they are made out of Cherry.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\telectric-guitar-godin-5th-avenue-kingpin-p90-cognac-burst-inc-100-professional-setup-added-value-1.jpg?v=1488371379.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t124.5 KB ID:\t32202340","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32202340","data-size":"full","title":"electric-guitar-godin-5th-avenue-kingpin-p90-cognac-burst-inc-100-professional-setup-added-value-1.jpg?v=1488371379.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

I dig the Godin, and then I bought another one, with the 2 P90 like pups. You got the Godin case with the guitar. but it's a weird case that really indestructible.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tkingpin-burg-full.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t174.1 KB ID:\t32202339","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32202339","data-size":"full","title":"kingpin-burg-full.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

The last gigs I did was with a Gretsch TN Rose.

I play through a 65 PRRI or a Gibson Les Paul Goldtone 5 watt amp, depending on want I need.

Worked out perfectly to do fills inbetween the vocals.

Basically in the end I ran out of time to play in this band. they changed my hours at work, and made a real mess out of the work load this past year.

Good sound. But it ain't Rockabilly. Unfortunately, it's hard to find new Rockabilly in the States in our time.

Britain preserved it in the 70's & 80's w/ the Teds and now it has spread to the European nations like a wild-fire. It's a whole cultural milieu over there now. There is Rockabilly fashion, dance, car-culture, music, the whole package.

Foreigners have always been better at picking out what's worth preserving in American music.

Rockabilly has never died in UK. It's going strong in Europe. And Hillbilly music is popular in Russia.

Here is the sort of thing you can hear & see across the Atlantic. The first song is an old Jerry Lee Lewis song, ROCKIN' MY LIFE AWAY. I'm not sure what band's version is used here. The second song is by one of the better European Rockabilly bands - the Lennerockers, from Germany.

The dance is late-1940's Lindy Hop morphed into R&R 1950's.

If an American wants to learn Rockabilly these days -- sadly, it's best to hire a Brit or a European for a teacher.

COH0hnyOHOk

(Featuring Rockabilly great James Burton on lead guitar & the Dixie Hummingbirds)

ZaFb7OXSAX4

PKpshWpCjwM

Archived