Michael Kelly Patriot mods? pots and jack

BASSDAD

• Members

I own a few of the older MK Patriots. They are still kicking ass but one of the input jacks is going. My spring project is to replace the pots and jacks in them. I know these guitars have (had?) a cult following on here and there were some basic pot and jack swaps that some folks used to do/suggest.

I tried the search but it doesn't seem to work, hence this thread....

Oh, and are the "Patriot Army" folks still around? If so, how to apply :)

• Members

There is absolutely nothing special about the pots and jack. That are all standard parts and if you're looking for quality parts switchcraft makes the best jacks and either CTS or alpha pots should be the best choices. CTS should last a lifetime with proper care.

I'd also say its highly doubtful there is anything wrong with the output jack. The most that can happen is the nut got loose and it moved around enough to where the wires are shorting or possibly broken off. In really rare cases the sleeve gets glazed and dirty inside. All you need is a little alcohol and super fine sand paper to clean it up and make sure there are good contacts. You'd need to do that with even a top end jack.

Also sometimes the tip connector can bend an fail to make contact. The most you may need to do is bend it back a little so the cable clicks into place tightly.

As far as actually being bad its far more likely the cable is the problem. Check your guitar cord. Grab the tip and see if it can be rotated. If it does its the cord connector that's bad.

As far as changing the pots, I never bother with them unless they have been cleaned already and are beginning to crackle. Pots are good for a cleaning or two before replacement and only a fool wastes his time changing them out before they develop issues. Pots are nothing buy variable carbon resistors and other then they way they taper have absolutely no impact on sound quality. Changing the wiring is even more ridiculous. Unless you are changing it to improve the shielding, the wire in a guitar doesn't go bad.

• Members

The jack issue is only on one guitar. Definitely not the cords. I did plan on looking at the connections first.

As far as changing pots being for fools...why do so many on here seem to suggested upgrades? (not only to these guitars but others?)

I had always figured there were sensitivity differences, etc. but if it's all BS I'll leave it go.

Thanks!

• Members

I never understood why people will go out, spend $900 on a new Epiphone, get it home, then immediately change the pots. It doesn't make it a Gibson.... sigh. :idk:

IF you are changing out the pots in say, a 59.95 special guitar from Walmart, then yes, pots would be considered an upgrade. Most of the time however, there really isn't a noticeable tonal difference with a pot change. Yes many will claim there is, but that's because they spent the money on the pots to begin with. A good CTS pot will last longer, have a smoother feel and taper, and just feel more solid. Sonically though.... against the standard "dime sized" pots of most Asian built instruments....not much of a difference.

That being said..... I am a lover of the Cortek Pots that Ibanez uses for the tone controls on their Korean made guitars. They us a "D" instead of the more common "A" (Tone) or "B" (Volume) pots. What's the difference, haven't a friggen clue. But I use them in any guitar that needs a new tone pot.

• Members

I have to admit I've never seen or even heard about that brand. According to them they're amazing and widely known and acclaimed, so I wouldn't change anything:

"For over a decade, the Patriot has been one of the most award-winning archtop single cutaways on the market. Just pick up one to see why it has earned all of the critical acclaim. Each model has a deeply arched top and the most in-demand features."

Archived