Dean Markley Blackhawk coated strings review

Phil O'Keefe

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"600","width":"600","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/images\/uploads\/dm-blackhawk-electric-ad296bad.jpg"}[/img2]

For all the details, check it out here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/dean-markley-blackhawk-coated-guitar-strings

As always, feel free to post any questions or comments you may have about either the strings or the review. :wave:

• Members
There seems to me to be a lack of specifics around the sound of these. You say they're great sounding, but mostly highlight their durability.

Do these sound better than a fresh at of DR Veritas or Thomastik-Infield electric strings? I'd be floored if they did. :)

Sound is subjective. Plus, these are coated strings designed for long life. Any review would naturally focus on that aspect. Since you've already decided they sound like crap they clearly aren't for you anyway.

• Members

Not much of a conclusion. You've decided they probably don't sound as good as your favorites, without trying them. Not much jumping involved. I didn't say they were "good for coated strings," nor did I see it in the review. I simply pointed out that reviews of coated strings tend to focus on longevity. It does say they're "lively" with "great tone."

There seems to me to be a lack of specifics around the sound of these. You say they're great sounding, but mostly highlight their durability.

Do these sound better than a fresh at of DR Veritas or Thomastik-Infield electric strings? I'd be floored if they did. :)

I have never tried the Thomastik-Infleld strings, so I cant make any comparisons there.

As far as DR strings, I've not had good luck with them - I kill and break them way too fast. YMMV.

As far as their sound, they're very similar to Dean Markley's standard electric strings that many players will no doubt be familiar with...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Untitl.jpg","data-attachmentid":32173090}[/ATTACH]

However, as I mentioned in the review, what differentates them from standard strings is their longevity.

• Members

I'll have to order some and give them a try. Apologies for sounding suspicious. I've tried all of the old coated brands and only a couple have lived up to their claims.

​​​​​​I'm used to the Anderton guys who wouldn't say anything negative about a product unless it sheared someone's head off - which they would probably mention as "not as user friendly as some". ;)

I'll have to order some and give them a try. Apologies for sounding suspicious. I've tried all of the old coated brands and only a couple have lived up to their claims.

​​​​​​I'm used to the Anderton guys who wouldn't say anything negative about a product unless it sheared someone's head off - which they would probably mention as "not as user friendly as some". ;)

My job is to tell you exactly what I think - good and bad. It's a very rare review indeed where I don't have something to put into the "limitations" section.

Archived