Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i found out those dunlop pick holder things change the tone of your guitar

I tried putting em on some of my guitars and I thought they look great. I just took them out and the sound is really different with them on. I prefer em off since I get more mids.

Dunlop pick holder?

Highly doubt one of these stick to an electric guitar would have any affect on tone. Maybe an acoustic if you stuck it some place near the bridge but even that would be miniscule compared to a hand resting on a guitar top.

How much vibration do you think and arm, hand, an entire body absorbs when its pressed up against a guitar?
    Do you really think a small piece of plastic separated by some double sided foam tape is going to make a change to the strings vibrating?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZzZzZz.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	32170233

The only thing I can think of is these little pick holders have a spring inside. Maybe you're hearing the spring or the housing resonate?
    I wouldn't stick it to a guitar to begin with. Sticky tape isn't good for a guitar finish so you'd be better off sticking it to your amp or mic stand.

Comment

There was a big difference for sure. on my les paul custom, with that thing on, it sounded perfect with the emg 81 on the bridge. I took it out and now it sounds more 'metal' like metallica. it was more like iron maiden or kiss type of tone. more 70's. its ok as it is now but its really hard and aggressive. it works anyhow.

Comment

You put a pick holder on a guitar because you thought it looked great...... Does anyone really need to reply?
        My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
        Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Counter act the difference with one of these. You'll thank me later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	32170281

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• Chordite
            Chordite commented
            Editing a comment
            Worrying, That's way too neat a post for sarcasm
            Last edited by Chordite; 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM.

Did the color match the body? A dissonant colored pick holder would play havoc with the midrange.

Comment

@ Marlon, remove the holder from the strings and place it somewhere out of the way on the body. If the sound worsens, you can look into graded adhesives to fine tune the tone.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I think you're experiencing psychoaco9ustics and confirmation bias. Try to find a friend......... to help you do a blind test.
              Last edited by Grant Harding; 02-23-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Just don't mention Nick Ronson. He knew the secret of getting the BEST TOANZ from a Les Paul.

Comment

Are they virgin plastic or recycled? Recycled can make a Strat sound like a ukulele if that's what you're expecting it to do.

Comment

they're recycled. I don't really need them anyway. it just looked cool but I wouldn't have put them on in the first place if I knew they do change the tone of the guitar that drastically.

Comment

Are we really suppose to take you seriously on this. What you can't think of something to post except this?

Comment

• badpenguin
                        badpenguin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've stopped taking this creature seriously 1000 posts ago.

• Grant Harding
                        Grant Harding commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The ignore function has been patchy at best. I shouldn't have even seen this thread.

• t_e_l_e
                        t_e_l_e commented
                        Editing a comment
                        grant you can't rely on technology at in this aera of time any more

yes, i'm just amazed how the pick holder can change my guitar's sound.

Comment

i`ve used those for years ,just don`t super glue em on.
                        Consternoon Aftable

Comment

You know those don't stick straight onto the strings, right?

Comment

• mbengs1
                            mbengs1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            yup
                        Working...
                        X