So who's worse than BB King?

1001gear

• Members

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-29/1798795-#post1798795

Someone tried to bump this thread in the FX forum but either deleted and VB didn't work right or deleted and VB worked right or VB is becoming self aware.

I woulda bumped it myself but it might be evil. Still I find this question very compelling (not really) so I am posing the question here for the latest offerings.

Frankly I think Neil Young is worse but tastier and most of these not so musicians come as a package that is digestible as music if not exactly gourmet.

So who're your picks?

• Members

hmm who is worse in what? and how do you measure it?

if you mean as guitar player b.b.king or neil young not the greatest, not the greatest shredder or versatile players in the world, and maybe boring cause repeating themselfes in their playing style.

but i do love them and their music, neil young might be my most favourite musician ever...

on the other hand, there is steve vai, joe satriani, paul gilbert malmsteem just to name a view, god they can shred... but sorry i cannot stand their music, their neverending noodling up and down the fretboard

for me they are worse

the only really bad guitarist is this selfish narcist bonamassa guy

• Members

Even if you don't like the mans playing you have to recognize how much he contributed to not only traditional blues, but how he influenced every modern guitarist that came after him from the Beatles, Stones, to Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, U2, you name it. In fact I'd have to say, anyone who doesn't recognize his influence doesn't have much of a musical education.

I think my favorite quote by BB was, "Give me a man and I'll make him a great musician" He recognized the need of being mature and putting away the fantasies children have when it comes to being a working musician. Its a very hard business to survive in and someone with a strong work ethic will survive much longer then some kid living in a fantasy world. In that BB has taught many musicians things far more important then the riffs they stole.

• Members

Parfitt and Rossi bored the crap out of me guitar wise. Their only song I liked was Pictures of Matchstick Men, (they hated it apparently) and most of that was down to the Phaser or Flanger, listen to Rossi's lead work on it He was no Hendrix but at least it was the first song I could play on my Jr guitar. :)

Vid added, When Quo were moderately interesting before they got locked into the Caroline formula that lasted the rest of their careers.

[video=youtube_share;QQyB5buEV5s]https://youtu.be/QQyB5buEV5s

Jury is also out on Bo Diddly, a one trick pony but woah what a trick!

• Members

Blues based music is everywhere. Much of what I am able to improvise is blues based. Still, I find the blues genre uninteresting to a fault. Same ole rise and fall, same ole "melody" and it's not until you get into the gems of rock and jazz that you get any notable musical evolution.

I gave up weed in the 70s. It takes content to get my spirit going.

• Members

yep the blues standard I IV V blah gets very boring, but it all depends who is playing it and how

e.g. gary clark jr. has the blues and makes interesting refreshing music

on the other hand there is joe bonamassa, who just can play guitar, has no soul no anything, is ego maniac and boring as hell...

and its not just because gary is black

have a listen to larkin poe and their youtube channel, these two young ladies rawk....

https://www.youtube.com/user/LarkinPoe

if they come around your area, try to see them

• Members

Black folks made BB King famous, for his music and singing. I don't think black folks care a whole lot about bluesy 'shredding', fast runs and wild bends, that seems to be something that appeals to whites.

I personally didn't really care for BB King's music, but at least he wasn't a minor criminal like Chuck Berry. :lol: The few times I heard BB King perform, I thought his guitar tone was oddly muffled, like a blanket was put over his amp.

Hey, America is lucky to have had black music - Jazz, blues, gospel. Rock and Roll is the blues' mulatto baby. American music is black music and we're all richer for it.

Just THINK, if America had never imported slaves, if we'd never had all those great and not-so-great black musicians and singers and composers...we'd be just like Europe, listening to Vitas, Crazy Frog, Vengaboys, Eiffel 2000 and crap like that. UGH.

...Nick Jonas
Seeing that made me a bit mad, actually. That guy would have had weeks, if not months, to prepare for that. Eight bars, worked up solo, hell he could have gotten some professional instruction/coaching. It could have been pretty good if he had put in the effort to PRACTICE. :facepalm: At least we know the solo wasn't taped. One of those live TV moments when things go south... ('I'm a let you finish...")

• Members

have a listen to larkin poe and their youtube channel, these two young ladies rawk....

https://www.youtube.com/user/LarkinPoe

if they come around your area, try to see them

First thing on that link.

[video=youtube;kKRDlmtTm2I]

Like it. Nicely arranged, interesting development. IOW the tune "happens" for lack of a better word. Good stuff.

Archived