Tell me about G&L strats

arcadesonfire

• Members

Anybody here have experience with a G&L stratocaster? I'm interested in getting a used American-made, 22-fret strat, preferably with 3 single coils. Some folks just pointed me toward G&Ls. I imagine used ones are cheaper (and better quality controlled?) than American Fenders. But I just started looking at the reviews here, and there are so many models. Legacy? S-500? Commanche?? Does anyone know the quality hierarchy or which features are associated with which models? Anyone got a recommendation?

(And side question: Do any of them come with locking tuners?)

Thanks!

• Members

My dad just bought a Legacy and man does that thing sing. I like the treble and bass pots over the tone pots and I like that you can adjust the tone on all pickups unlike the strat. I think the finish options are nicer on the G&L models. The neck shape is noticebly different than Fender, they are thinner and flatter. I find the G&L neck easier to play but I have to admit that I do like the full C shape and compound raius but I think the G&L is superior to Fender. It has more range, more options, when you play a Fender strat it sounds like standard definition. When you play a G&L it sounds like high definition. If I were looking for a strat type I would get the S500 in Irish Ale. It's beautiful and the mahogany gives it more low end.

If resale value and collectability is really important I would probably go with Fender. Even though a G&L is basically an improved Fender and were described by Leo Fender as the best guitars he ever made, Fenders hold value better and are more collectable due to their history.

• Members

I have a Tribute (G&L's Asian-made budget line) Legacy guitar. It's pretty much a straight-ahead strat copy. 2-point trem (an asian copy of the G&L trem), three single coil strat-type pickups with non-staggered pole pieces. Sounds "stratty" to me, I love this guitar.

The Commanche uses three split-coil pickups. They look like they're designed to retain single coil 'character' but be hum cancelling.

I think the S-500 uses three single coil "MFD" pickups with adjustable pole pieces. I have no experience with either of those guitars personally.

• Members

I played in a band with a guy who had a high end G&L. Not sure which model, but I remember him saying he paid over $2K for it. I tried it out a few times and while it did play good I wasn't overly impressed with what he got for that price. There may be better models now of course but I really couldn't say they were better then many Fenders I've played. There again I'm pretty spoiled from having owned several exceptionally excellent Vintage Fenders form the 60's.

Resale wise I think the G&L take a much bigger hit, many loosing half their value compared to American made and Custom Shop Fenders. I think if you compare the MIM junk to a G&L you'd make out better with a G&L, especially if you buy used.

I'll also say there are many other Strat clones out there which are exceptionally well made. I played an ESP Vintage Plus back in the 90's that was very impressive. It came with Seymour Duncan pickups and its neck was made of the finest birds eye maple with a Vintage neck counter that fit like a glove. They still sell for a Grand or more after 25 years.

I think Condition, Durability, Sound Quality and most importantly how the neck fits your hand are the biggest factors with anything you buy. Unless I put my hand on the neck and sized it up to make sure it was a great fit, the cost and quality don't mean much to me because you have to be able to play it well to get the best tones.

• Members

I would look at Used options too, the resale value isn't an issue if you buy it after depreciation. A Legacy is the most similar to a traditional Fender Strat where an S500 and Comanche stray from the traditional specs. Any of the 3 are quality, you can't go wrong.

• Members
The Comanche is one of the finest Strat type guitars ever made or ever likely to be made

The best 'strat' I ever played was a G&L Comanche

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrPo6u4uljmjCP5Kwzncrwgj-5lMLlekEdBXJcya94Sk3fybWX.jpg","data-attachmentid":32159775}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Thanks for all the responses! Now, tell me about these "split-coil" single coils... If they're two coils to reduce 60hz hum, and given that humbuckers only have one coil picking up sound but still sound very different from single coils, then... how do the "split coils" really differ from humbuckers? I mean, do they actually sound like pure single coils sans hum?? (And if so, why doesn't every dang single-coil guitar use 'em??!!)...

Thanks again; I'll get to youtubing for sound samples. There isn't a single darn official G&L dealer in all of New York City, but I'll try to find 'em somewhere to test out.

• Members

I grew up playing 60's Fenders, and owned a '63 Strat for a LONG time. I have owned top of the line American Deluxe Tele's, and Strats. The G&L Tribute Bluesboy I just got plays better than any of the Fenders did. I honestly think that American Fender models compare to G&L Tributes, and Fender Custom shop approaches American G&L. I truly think that most G&Ls destroy Fender models. Their resale sucks, and in many parts of the world, they are not well known. If you want to invest or plan on selling it, buy the Fender. If you are looking for a long term guitar to love and play, buy the G&L. You will never miss ANY Fender.

• Members

G&L's are very nice, as mentioned the resale value ain't great. Great deals to be found if you are buy used.

Fender American made stuff very nice, lots of options these days.

Anderson, Played a few and the ones I played were amazing.

Melancon, told a buddy about them and when he was in NO, he stopped in the his shop and bought one of the nicest strat style guitars I have ever played.

Surh guitars, really sweet. Should have bought one in like 1984 when I was in NYC at Manny's.

The thing about buying a strat or strat like guitar is to try what you can, and see what speaks to you the most.

Figure out your budget and go from there.

I have 4 strats, but nothing new. My oldest is 42 years old now. Not my fav strat I own, but I bought it in 1980 for 300 bucks from a kid in town. Had to have it refretted along the way.

Just some food for thought.

Buy it right, buy it once, buy it for life. In the end it how you like a particular instrument, how it feels in your paws, and translates to the tone you want and hear.

Don't split hairs on a few hundred or so these days. It's kind of nice to know what you get will increase in value a bit over time.

Sorry to be not so much of a help.

• Members

Ive got a G&L ASAT Special Tribute that I like very much.

As far as quality is concerned, the fret work on my was terrible. I've had to hammer in some frets and give it a full fret level. It's actually pretty easy to do, it was the 1st time I did one.

in pretty sure that's an issue you wouldn't have with a USA G&L, and most tributes are fine too, but some aren't .

Now, after that fret level, I love that guitar.

• Members

Uhhh, what? Who on earth told you that? BOTH coils pick up the vibration of the strings. IF it's coil tapped, only one will, giving you that single coil sound.

Wait, really?!???! I’ve had the wrong idea for my whole guitar-playing life! I thought one was a “dummy coil” only there to put out electromagnetic interference within the circuit, and that it was not picking up EM interference (the vibrating string). I’m not sure how what I just said would really work, but somehow I got that impression...

THANK YOU for the major life lesson. Ha! I’m gonna read up on pickups again. Feel like I was just sent back to preschool.

• Members

D’oh! I was so totally misunderstanding humbuckers. The coils DO sum everything together. Now I see how the reversed polls allows sound pickup despite opposite phases.

Wellp, that’s what ya get when you hold onto an understanding you got in fourth grade before learning physics.

Archived