22-fret Strats: get new neck or whole new guitar?

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hi y’all. Despite having a real nice American Hamer Mirage, my cheapo Mex-made Jimmy Vaughn Strat ($300 used in 2001) has been my main axe for years. I love having three single coils! (w/ wiring to give me neck and bridge together) And I prefer the look of it too.

But it I desperately want a 22nd fret so I can hit that high note in key of D and also bend up to E.

So so does anyone have suggestions for which Fender Strats had 22 frets that I could get for around $800 used? Does such a thing exist?

Though i I also have concerns about buying a guitar online that I’ve never touched. Maybe it would be safer to stick w my Mexi Strat’s crappy body would and just get a new neck....

So, anybody have experience changing their Fender’s neck? Any ideas how much a shop should charge for the labor and set up? (I don’t trust myself much anymore; pros are better).

thanks!

• Members

I haven't done it to a strat but I've built several tele's with 22 frets necks. Potential problems include that the f/b extension might extend to the neck pickup or might interfere with the pick guard and not seat all the way into the pocket. There are ways to fix both of these, just takes a little surgery. The other thing to be aware of is that quality of replacement necks varies a lot (kind of with price). I have used four Mighty Mite necks (about 100 - 150) and all have required significant fret work. I installed one non name PacRim neck for a customer and it not only didn't fit the geometry, the frets were terrible. The Warmoth necks that I've worked with are much better, but still require some work. You'll either buy new tuners (50 bucks or so) or scavage the ones off your old neck. Most after market nuts are terrible, plan to have a new one made.

If you were to bring the guitar and neck to me for installation and setup I would estimate that it might take me two to four hours plus parts - I charge my time at 50 per hour.

• Members

OK, lets see - the basics steps were

- remove the neck, pull the 21st fret

- cut thru the 21st slot, somehow cut off the end of the fretboard level and true (I would build a jig and route it off like you do when installing a locking nut). Remember the f/b is radiused - you don't have a flat surface to work with

- make a piece of maple or rosewood that matches the existing board, glue it on

- pull all the frets (I guess I would have done that at step 2 or at the same time I pulled 21)

- refinish the board (or not if its rose). Fender would do that after the frets are installed, this guy seems to do it before

- recut the 21st, cut a 22nd fret slot (in exactly the proper location)

- refret the board (if the frets are side installed deal with that.

- level, crown, dress and polish the frets. If you decided to finish over them scrape the finish

- reinstall the neck, set up as usual

I might have left a few things out. The OP says "(I don’t trust myself much anymore; pros are better)" Going rates for a complete refret and setup; is $200 - 250. Doing the wood working and finishing might add couple more hours. All for one more little fret....

• Members

Quote "Yeah but that's just a marketable way of doing it. All you need is a fret/stop to be where the 22nd fret should be. Could be anchored in the pocket or clamped to the end of the neck. The body would stabilize it in the vertical plane."

It has to be within a couple of thousands of the plane of the rest of the frets, curved to the radius of the f/b or it will be a little buzz bomb when 21 or 20 are played. It needs to be 18.344 inches from the nut or it won't play in tune. It has to be tightly held in its slot (and the "slot" for 21 has to be recreated when the end of the f/b is cut off - you'll actually end up gluing that fret in place). The entire neck geometry needs to be correct (both angle and overstand) in order for the action to be properly set. Whatever McGiver system is used can't interfere with the neck pickup or the pick guard.

Quote "I'm not saying this is the way to go,only that it is possible.

He did say that IF the guitar were not in for a refret already he would not replace them all.."

I would sure pull several more so I could sand that little piece to match the rest of the neck.

Sure it can be done and if someone brought me a guitar and said "do it" I would. And I'd even take pictures and post them here. But really, all this to add one fret to a $300 "cheapo Mex-made" strat?

• Members

My solution would be to buy another guitar with the intention of selling the old one.But of course i would need a little time to compare Pups and so on.

Then never would get around to selling it, one more for the collection

Archived