NVGD!!!!!

badpenguin

• Members

Of course I couldn't go away for a few days, without picking something up, now could I? Went away for my wife's birthday, she's mumble mumble this year, and took a few of the guitars I haven't been playing down to one of my fav spots, and came home with this beauty....

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143381}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143382}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143383}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143384}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143385}[/ATTACH]

A 1972 Gibson SG Standard!! All electronics, minus the bridge pickup obviously, completely original, original walnut finish, original frets, just a killer player! Did I mention the ONE PIECE mahogany body?

Yes, there is a small stabilized crack at the base of the body by the strap button. And yes, a few dings and scrapes, but hey, it's 45 years old!

The bridge I have dropped to where it can't go any lower, and there is no buzzing! The neck pickup, an original "tarback", sounds wonderfully clear and rich, and even the Carvin, which I don't care for generally, sounds good in this piece of OLD wood!

The second I picked it up, after playing about 6 different Firebirds and Pauls, I knew this was the ONE. This spoke to me. There's that special feeling you get with a guitar, and this one has it in SPADES!

• Moderators

Are you sure it is an actual 1972? That was the era of bad s/n records [early Norlin]...I have an SG from that era, plays like a dream, but even Gibson can't verify month/year of manufacture. I agree about the Carvin M22 p-up, typically they sound 'meh', but, in the right guitar, they work!

• Members

They need a leather strap with suede shoulder padding.

1st thing I bought after getting my SG and seeing its headstock going for a wander whenever i let go of th neck.

Love this guitar. SG have great playability, super light too. And mine (as the OP does by the sound of it) sounds great. It makes for a very strong package!!!!

• Members
Of course I couldn't go away for a few days, without picking something up, now could I? Went away for my wife's birthday, she's mumble mumble this year, and took a few of the guitars I haven't been playing down to one of my fav spots, and came home with this beauty....

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143381}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143382}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143383}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143384}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32143385}[/ATTACH]

A 1972 Gibson SG Standard!! All electronics, minus the bridge pickup obviously, completely original, original walnut finish, original frets, just a killer player! Did I mention the ONE PIECE mahogany body?

Yes, there is a small stabilized crack at the base of the body by the strap button. And yes, a few dings and scrapes, but hey, it's 45 years old!

The bridge I have dropped to where it can't go any lower, and there is no buzzing! The neck pickup, an original "tarback", sounds wonderfully clear and rich, and even the Carvin, which I don't care for generally, sounds good in this piece of OLD wood!

The second I picked it up, after playing about 6 different Firebirds and Pauls, I knew this was the ONE. This spoke to me. There's that special feeling you get with a guitar, and this one has it in SPADES!

Nice, really nice score.

A 1980 SG that I bought new is my oldest Gibson guitar. My also plays like a dream, so the Norlin year ain't as bad as some may say.

Note that the out put jack mine is on the side like a Les Paul. I have the original chainsaw one style case with mine.

I also own a SG Classic, with the P90's and the smaller headstock. The neck is a bit chubbier and clubbier than the Standard.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"DCP_1110.JPG","data-attachmentid":32145030}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"DCP_1111.JPG","data-attachmentid":32145031}[/ATTACH]

Not my classic, but just like it. The classic I believe was a GC/MF exclusive, but I'm not sure.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7d44c0dc8baa3c4fc000165dae470653--gibson-sg-classic-guitars.jpg","data-attachmentid":32145032}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Thanks all!!!

Hellion, I really want to keep the vintage tone thing going, so if I replace the Carvin, it will be in the 7-9K range. And I think covered other then open coils Although, there's a part of me screaming "Lawrence XL500.... you KNOW you want too....." Another part is whispering...."DiMarzio Classic II... it's what would have been done in the 70's..." So, the jury is still out. I like doing what I call "resto-modding". Modding a guitar the way it would have been done during the time the guitar was still newish

Mikeo, I had one of those Classics a few years ago, and loved it to death! Alas, sold it in a fit of flat wallet syndrome. My wife never forgave me. And I don't think the Norlin years were quite the Dark Ages as some purist claim. Yeah, they has some SERIOUS duds and QC issues, The SG100, Marauder, Sonex brings shudders to those purist, but some brilliant instruments came out of that era also.

Rat, Nope, it's mahogany. Seen enough of it to know. (My Guild S300D is the same type of one piece mahogany body.)

• Members

Well my friends, after a long talk with that screaming voice in my head, you know the one, the voice that says you can most definitely sing karaoke at 3am after 6 tequilas, I decided that the SG NEEDED an XL500 in the bridge. But really, doesn't everything?

It's amazing how that high powered beast brought out the mahogany goodness in the guitar! Mids that weren't heard with the Carvin, just sing now. It took away that brittleness that SG 's bridge pickups seem to all have. NOW I am happy with it.

Archived