Hot or Not

gardo

• Members

I'd be curious to hear how those lipstick pickups sound.

I was never a huge fan of the Dan Electro guitars and others that used them.

The only ones I have are in my Electric Sitar.

Even though the Buzz bridge it uses produces unique tone, getting any kind of decent fidelity plugged straight into an amp was near impossible.

I eventually wound up adding an active 3 way EQ which helped allot. of course those lipsticks may be cheap generics too.

I like the red. You don't see too many vintage guitars with deep car finishes. A strong gold undercoat would be even cooler. What kind of guitar is that? Has too many switches for a Mustang. Jaguar?

Yes, it's a Jaguar.

Fender originally used a silver undecoat for their Candy Apple Red (CAR) paint jobs, then later switched over to a gold undercoat - the silver is considered 'cooler', although that might just be because it was used originally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I love CAR so to me it is definitely hot...but CAR does indeed look better on some guitars. I recently saw a beautiful orange motorcycle, so I asked the owner about the color because it really stood out....It was CAO, candy apple orange....never heard of it (and it makes no sense since apples aren't orange)...but it was HOT HOT HOT. If I had to have an orange guitar, it would work nicely.

• Members
I love CAR so to me it is definitely hot...but CAR does indeed look better on some guitars. I recently saw a beautiful orange motorcycle' date=' so I asked the owner about the color because it really stood out....It was CAO, candy apple orange....never heard of it (and it makes no sense since apples aren't orange)...but it was HOT HOT HOT. If I had to have an orange guitar, it would work nicely.[/quote']

There you go again,comparing apples and oranges.

I found this chatr of candy apple colors, there are some good ones

candi15.jpg

I love CAR so to me it is definitely hot...but CAR does indeed look better on some guitars. I recently saw a beautiful orange motorcycle' date=' so I asked the owner about the color because it really stood out....It was CAO, candy apple orange....never heard of it (and it makes no sense since apples aren't orange)...but it was HOT HOT HOT. If I had to have an orange guitar, it would work nicely.[/quote']

As the red overcoat ages and fades, a CAR finish can become more orange or tangerine in shading, especially if it has a gold undercoat instead of silver.

Fender has noticed that some people like that, and has sold some guitars with similar finishes - the Johnny Marr Jaguar had one as a finish option called Metallic KO that is somewhat close, and other models have featured Candy Tangerine finishes that really look a lot like faded CAR.

Archived