G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy

Axisplayer

• Members

I saw this on my local Craigslist. Couldn't forget the color, so after two weeks I called and bought it yesterday. Seems to be mint, at least I haven't found anything wrong so far. Guy threw in a molded Fender Tele case that fits it. I was pretty happy for $300. Might change the humbucker to balance the voicing a little better because it has too much tonal range between the two pups so hard to set the amp and like all the settings. Considering a Phat Cat (P90) which is a hum bucker sized replacement pup.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32138961}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":32138962}[/ATTACH]

• Members

To clarify, I do like the sound of both pickups. It is just that the neck pup is louder than the bridge pup. I need to lower the volume of the pup a bit, or get one with lower output. But before I go drastic I am playing with pup height. I might get a better balance by changing it on each pup. Replacement is last resort because I like both of them.

• Members
As a rule of thumb I always start with pickups as low as they'll go' date=' without falling off the screw, then slowly raise and play about with height. There is no doubt that am Alnico V is far sweeter lower down, mainly why I only use UOA5 and A2 and A3 pickups in my own guitars these days.[/quote']

I'm the same way. FWIW, I usually start with the bridge pup, as they seem to have a narrow sweet spot range, and then adjust the neck (and middle) to balance.

• Members

The height adjustments fixed all my issues. It sounds fine to me now. May still play a little, but it doesn't need any change outs, just adjustments. Although the addition of a Bigsby crossed my mind today. They don't cost much and I think I might like it, but it is SOOOO NON-traditional Tele that I am struggling with the thought.

Archived