Fender Electric XII Novak Pickups

akpasta

• Members

IF you were keeping it, I would say simply add 2 push/pulls and have it wired series/parallel. Personally, I don't care if it's vintage or not, as long as it does the job I want it to. BUT you are planning to sell it. So leave it as is, and continue your hunt for a decent electric 12. Good luck!

I'd leave the wiring stock.

On a Fender Electric XII the baseball bat switch should be set to give you the bridge alone, bridge and neck in parallel, bridge and neck in series, and the neck pickup alone. That's not the same as wiring the two halves of each pickup together in parallel, which the stock guitar didn't do and I really wouldn't recommend doing to it.

If you want it to jangle, try running it through a compressor and a treble booster (I use a DIY-made Vox V806 clone and a modified Dynacomp).

• Members

As you said, you are close to selling the guitar. To turn the pickups in parallel wiring is an invasive process. It requires the wire between the two halves to be disassembled, and wired backwards. (ground to the hot wire between the two.) You rewire the guitar, you lose the vintage sound they are known for, and therefore, lose value on the guitar.

Another possible solution is this: Replace the pickguard and components with different pickups and wiring IF the guitar's routing beneath the pickguard allows it. If it's a swimming pool rout, then do that, with modern pickups and wiring.

• Members

So far, every opinion is that you leave it stock if you are planning on selling it. I'll join that chorus as well. You'll get more money for it to aid your quest for the 12 you'll be happy with. Take it to the Classifieds here for example. You might even happen upon a swap or something.

As the guys said below, it's a fairly invasive modification that will lower the value of your vintage guitar.

If you really want to try an Electric XII pickup that's wired in parallel, I'd have someone build you one from scratch and drop it into the bridge position and see how you like it - but beware - even the soldering that is necessary to replace a single pickup is going to result in a "ding" on the instrument's value. Not as much as if you rewired the coils of the pickups themselves, but definitely some.

Curtis Novak makes Fender XII replacement pickups and should be able to make one with the mods you seek.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/Offsets.shtml

• akpasta changed the title to Fender Electric XII Novak Pickups

Archived