Am I now a musical relic?

Chordite

• Members

I can handle the idea of MIDI guitars and advances in music and keep up by adopting a sort of Brian Eno pseudo academic attitude.

While happily trying to pull nuanced emotions out of my string and wood strat I browsed into this and suddenly I felt old, very very old :(

[video=youtube_share;3vC5TsSyNjU]

It is apparently called a 'launchpad' and in this link a guy explains the basics.

• Members

Making music by triggered samples has been around since the late 80s when Akai, with Roger Linn's help, developed and released the first MPC. Practically ALL Hip-Hop music is produced/performed this way.

It's OK to be a relic. People still learn and play the violin even though a synthesizer is CLEARLY superior in every way. :p

You've never heard of Ableton or Ableton Live?

I'm old too, but that's fairly old news. As Mr.Grumpy said, Hip Hop (and lots of other modern genres) utilize triggered samples extensively, and the Ableton Launchpad is just a controller that allows you to access / play a bunch of them at once.

• Members

Meh. Just sounds like generic club music.

They'll always be a place for more nuanced instruments like guitar, piano, etc.

Check this out for a great combination of new technology, song writing, and musicianship. Even has some guitars too! :D

[YOUTUBE]YJNi7aRwUzU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

We seem to be approaching the era of the i-pad gig, or even the 'phone gig where the performer just walks on dials into the PA and taps his touch screen samples in millennial head down and pacing about style.

PS I remember way back in 2003 programming up my sony t610 phone which had a sort of sequencer for polyphonic dial tones. I was pleasantly surprised by what I put together. If it still takes charge I'll record it and post it here.

• Members
Is there a way to hook that computer' date=' set a few parameters, then just walk away? Take the human factor totally out of the process. Who needs creativity anyway?[/quote']

Back in the 90s I had a software program by IK Multimedia (sold in the US by Cakewalk) called GrooveMaker. It came with a bunch of 8-bar samples of various types (beats, basses, chords, ect...) that could be combined manually. It also included a "bot" that would randomly chain them together for you, you just picked out the sample set you wanted it to use, and it would churn out electronic dance music pretty well, obviously following an algorithm.

Back in the 90s I had a software program by IK Multimedia (sold in the US by Cakewalk) called GrooveMaker. It came with a bunch of 8-bar samples of various types (beats, basses, chords, ect...) that could be combined manually. It also included a "bot" that would randomly chain them together for you, you just picked out the sample set you wanted it to use, and it would churn out electronic dance music pretty well, obviously following an algorithm.

That idea goes way back. There was a plugin many years ago (or maybe it was a built-in feature in one of the early DAWs) called algorithmic composer, or something like that. It would basically create lines based on basic parameters that you entered.

• Members

Back in the 1980's, I was a total " Shred Head" ; warp speed picking, two handed tapping, Floyd Rose nut case but luckily I cut my teeth on Hendrix, Clapton, Knopfler and great Blues players.

As the Beatles sang in SGT Pepper , a loose quote, ( Music) going out of style, but guaranteed to raise a smile". ....in the 1990's high octane playing went out of style .... Go to Guitar Center,it's coming back.

• Members

I just want to make it clear that my OP was about the touchpad interface and the idea of new "instruments" not modern music hip hop or whatever which I quite like for example I have built up a library of Christian DJ Todd Edwards tracks like:

[video=youtube_share;jSVnTtZLWOA]

Archived