eBay Guitar Listing with No Warranty? HELP!

ThisIsRychu

• Members

Hey all, I wasn’t exactly sure where the best forum would be to post my question, so I figured I’d try here and hope for the best. I’ve had my eye on an Ibanez Prestige Talman on eBay for the better part of a month and I am hesitant to pull the trigger due to the price being almost too good to be true. Typically I believe they go for $1299 US, but the seller has it listed for $849. His description reads as such, “It is brand new but in order to be able to offer it at this great price it does not carry the factory warranty.”. He has a 100% rating, but I’m a little leery on it considering I can’t find anything on google to explain anything on the topic of guitars being sold without warranties.

There is another identical guitar listed by another seller for 100 more, makes no mention of not having a warranty included(so I’m assuming it does), but is detailed as, “This is a refurbished instrument. These guitars are sent directly from the manufacturer to the authorized refurbishing center where they are fully inspected and cleared by a certified technician. The guitars are sent there for many reasons, including: Cosmetic flaws, Minor repairs & Discontinued Models.” Further down he details it more so - “Condition: The authorized technician found no issues with the guitar. It has no flaws or repairs noted. Unlike most of our refurbished guitars, this has no stamp on the back of the headstock. The included hard-shell case may have a few scratches or scuffs but is also in overall excellent condition. Save Big!”. The seller for this one also has an impeccable rating.

I’m hoping some of my musical breathren could shed some light on this for me and rest my anxieties so I can pull the trigger. I typically buy my guitars new so I don’t have to concern myself with getting scammed, but alas Ibanez thought it’d be cool to discontinue the color that I fell in love with and sweetwater is unable to get a hold of one for me. Which do you think would be a wiser purchase, if any?

Thanks in advance for any able to help!

• Members

Welcome to the forum This!

​This is hard for me, since I don't normally buy new. I am a guitar tech of 30 odd years, and any I decide to keep, I setup and repair myself.

​The reason there's no factory warranty is that it's more then likely a Factory Second. That's a guitar that has been deemed by Ibanez to have some flaw in it. 90% of the time, it's a finish flaw. A small run in the finish, or a chunk of dirt, you know, cosmetic things. There may be a crack bear the nut, or at the neck joint, that's again, "mostly" cosmetic. (Sometimes what looks cosmetic, isn't.)

​If the seller DOESN'T accept returns, then I would avoid him.

​If you feel secure with it, then spend that extra 100 to have that piece of mind. Good luck, and post pics when you get it!

• Members
Welcome to the forum This!

​This is hard for me, since I don't normally buy new. I am a guitar tech of 30 odd years, and any I decide to keep, I setup and repair myself.

​The reason there's no factory warranty is that it's more then likely a Factory Second. That's a guitar that has been deemed by Ibanez to have some flaw in it. 90% of the time, it's a finish flaw. A small run in the finish, or a chunk of dirt, you know, cosmetic things. There may be a crack bear the nut, or at the neck joint, that's again, "mostly" cosmetic. (Sometimes what looks cosmetic, isn't.)

​If the seller DOESN'T accept returns, then I would avoid him.

​If you feel secure with it, then spend that extra 100 to have that piece of mind. Good luck, and post pics when you get it!

Thank you so much for the help! He does accept returns within 14 days, so I suppose that’s a good sign. I think I’m going to jump on the cheaper one since he claims it’s brand new, regardless of the lack of warranty. He has excellent ratings on both eBay and Reverb, which I just noticed this morning. I’ll be sure to post a picture of the new lady when she arrives!

The one being advertised as refurbished is probably not going to have a warranty either.

I agree with badpenguin - as long as the seller offers returns if you're not happy, then you're probably okay - but you'll have to pay to fix it if any issues come up with it later. If the seller doesn't accept returns / offer refunds, then I'd steer clear.

BTW, welcome to HC! :wave:

• Members

Whatever pay by paypal because that gives you certain rights as does opening an e-bay dispute.

However life has taught me that if a deal doesn't look right then it probably isn't.

Think about it, there is no reason whatever for him to sell it without a warranty and take a $400 hit unless there is something wrong!

Archived