Where might I obtain a "tone bar" thing I believe they "fit" near the head stock and "nut"

crustoleum

• Members

I can agree with that . I do want to try one out , just for fun , I guess. :) 15 dollars. Maybe I can have my son make one at the machine shop where he works. What might be the best "tone steel" 300 series, 400 ? I know it may rust but carbon steel ? I wonder if it should be "hardened" by heat treat or oil immersion ? Alloy ? chrome/nickel ? Brass/bronze ? hmm

• Members

It's largely based on the idea that additional headstock mass produces not merely a subtle but a profound, how-did-I-ever-live-without-it?! effect on tone, sustain, etc. Geardom is full of similar products and claims. IMHO, it's largely a solution looking for a problem.

• Members

Yeah - I'd definitely experiment with a clamp to see what the impact is. If it has a profound positive impact on the specific guitar I'd be more inclined to use a metal backplate type solution that's hidden but looks cool too.

I think you want to start your experiment in the 0-100 gram range. Maybe add magnets to the clamp to try different weights?

• Members

I've always suspected that greater mass at the headstock enhances sustain, which is one of the reasons I tend to like Grover Rotomatic-style tuning machines on most guitars. But evidently I've always been too much of an idiot to experiment with this theory by just chucking some kind of extra weight onto a headstock. I really have no idea how the f I survived to adulthood. :facepalm:

• Members

Personally, I don't think they do that much. If they did, I am sure Gibby or Fender would have a guitar out, with one built in with an added $1500 for a piece of 9 cent brass that has been "sonically placed for optimum sustain and tone". Oh wait, did I just foresee the 2018 catalog?

• Members

I may obtain 3 or 4 if I like the results of the initial one :) . I wonder how they will "work" in conjunction with an Epiphone Century archtop thing hmmm.

I kave 3 Kyser probably spelled that wrong :) capos around one is for a 12 string. I'm going to

stick" 3 of them on the head of the Danelectro thing and try to discern any difference , other than the little extra weight/mass at the head...What do you think ?

Archived