Favourite pickups for an SG?

mistersully

• Members

The only SG I owned was an 1965 Standard I bought used around 1974. It had its original PAF's which sounded killer. To my best recollection, It didn't have the full Vibrato, It had the harp piece but was non vibrato like the one in the second photo. I do remember the neck being huge, almost the size a 12 string neck. Not sure if it was a 25.5" scale either but I do remember it was a bastard to play with my hand size, but the tone from the pickups made it worth it.

5a4f1ae67c064fb9d9ebff429c071d81--sg-guitar-vintage-guitars.jpg

e18g0217-1024x757.jpg

• Members

I have a couple of SG. The standard I bought new in 1980. I'm not sure what it has in it for pickups, I have heard that have something called Tar Backs. I have also heard they were the 490 and 498. I really have no idea, but it sound good.

It's been with me for 37 years.

Note the out put jack in on the side, and it has the larger headstock.

fetch?filedataid=126709

The classic has P90's

Gibson_SG%20Classic_2009%28C%29.jpg

• Moderators

Unfortunately my SG was modded when I got it [fugly, but functional]. It has a DiMarzio PAF at the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion at the bridge. It is a Norlin era, ~1971, and looks like it had soapbars originally. I'm not crazy about the Bridge SD p-up unless the tone is rolled off, but that DiM PAF is sweet and warm. An old friend has a '69 SG with P90s, and he wanted to change them out, until I demo'd them for him with a good tube amp [all he had was a little Gorilla SS practice amp], now he understands the P90 'gestalt'...

Archived