Lead ?

satmanjf@gmail.com

• Members

I choose string gauge based on the guitar, feel that I want, tunings that I plan to use. Most of the time I put 10's on an electric (unless the owner has very specific needs) - I've got flat wound 11's on my jazz guitar. 9's are fine but might involve some changes - they certainly allow much bigger bends if that is to your liking. Acoustics are a whole different animal - subject for a different discussion.

• Members

I have a couple of guitars with 10's and 11's but my preference is 9/46. Regular 9's have gauges 9/42 but I like the heavier bottoms a set of 10's would normally have and the 9/46 sets fit the bill.

Playing live I often like having heavier gauges because you're adrenalin level goes up and bending strings is easy. Normal playing/recording those strings are rough on my finger joints becoming inflamed with the long hours of playing I put in bending strings.

Back in the 70's we all used to use 8's. I tried a couple of sets just for fun awhile back and it was difficult to get the instrument set up properly and play with strings that light.

,do you guys use 9s or what gauge, do 9s stay in tune or is it a guitar thing !

I occasionally use 9's on some guitars, but I usually use 10's on most of my electrics. All my 24" short scales always use 10's. On full-scale Fenders, I'll occasionally use 9's. When the guitar is set up well, I usually don't have any tuning issues... but I play fairly hard - one thing to watch for / be aware of with lighter strings is the possibility of pulling them out of tune by bending with the LEFT hand while playing chords... it's easier to do that than some people might think. They're lighter strings, so ease up on the left hand pressure a bit and see if that helps.

• Members

That's why I always put a drop of crazy glue on the ball ends of my strings, wipe off the excess and let it dry. Light strings tend to unwind at the ends and go flat when you bend them allot. The CA prevents that so you only have to make sure the strings are properly wrapped at the tuners and you can slam the strings as hard as you want without tuning issues.

• Members

Generally speaking I use 9-46 on 25.5 inch scale and 10-52 on 24.75.

I usually keep a tele or strat tuned down a half-step and I'll use 10-52 on that guitar.

For tuning stability I go with minimal wraps on the tuning machine and graphite in the nut slots - regardless of string gauge.

• Members

gotta remember to stretch the strings out so they will holde tune AFTER you do bends or just play chords. Tune em to pitch (or a half step up to quicken the process)

pull each string with two fangers like drawing a bow and holde it for a breath and slowly ease it back down at bridge, beginning of neck, half way up neck, three pulls (*IF YOU PULL TOO HARD YOU BREAK THE STRING) (**ACOUSTIC GUYS IF BRIDGE PINS ARE SET INCORRECTLY THIS IS WHEN THEY POP OUT Loosen string, reset pin correctly, tune to pitch, pull))

string will go flat retune to pitch and keep doing that till string no longer goes flat but stays in. (THIS TAKES A WHILE TAKE YOUR TIME)

fine tune all the strings to desired pitch giving light pulls on the three spots until tuner reads in. You'll have to retune often until strings get set. then you'll hardly have to tune.

wipe fret board and strings with dry clean lint free cloth after use to keep hand oils from killing strings.

Archived