Tell me about your favorite Overdrive Pedal...

steve_man

• Members

I was looking for a new overdrive/distortion pedal recently. There are just so many options available and making a decision was difficult. I wanted something with a small footprint and not too pricey so I ended up with a Mooer Black Secret. It arrived yesterday. So far so good.

• Members

Generally, I always relied on the amp's gain, then a pedal. BUT that being said, a couple of years ago I picked up, from GC for 30 bucks of all places, a Duncan Lava Box. For me, and my gear, it's perfection. I don't do the "chunka chunka whine whine bendy bendy chunka detuned-down-to H-flat" style of "music" that others seem to love, so it's right for me. Nice amount of gain, good footprint, and the "Rumble" 6 way switch, adds or subtracts tone as I need it.

But my old a$$ heart still wants a Fuzz Face again.

• Members

I prefer fuzz or distortion to overdrive. If you turn a Vox or Marshall up, you get enough gain for riffs and licks, and pedals kinda muddy the waters. I like fuzz on clean amps for rhythm, but usually light when on a dirty amp.

I haven't used an actual pedal in a while. When I'm not playing acoustic, I like the Fuzz Face model on my Digitech RP-150 through my Vox AC-4 or Marshall head.

• Members

I play through a super-clean amplifier (a Music Man) so need something that does a night light crunch overdrive. I bought a USED Nady TO-1 tube overdrive, only $45 at Guitar Center, it was in mint condition with the box packing and warranty card. Yes, it's a "starved plate" tube OD with the standard 12AX7 tube and a dedicated power supply. There are switches for the gain, treble and mid-hump (in additon to the normal knob adjustments) to there's a lot of range on the controls. I keep the gain around 12 o'clock with the gain switch on low, and get a nice breakup for rhythm guitar. For leads, I boost the heck out it with a TS-9 tubescreamer in front. Very happy with my guitar's tone now.

Overdrive pedals are like guitars - there's no way I could pick a single favorite. :lol:

Some of my faves include my Lovetone Brown Source, EQD Palisades (which is their take on a Tube Screamer, but with a lot more features), Fulltone OCD v3, Skreddy Screw Driver... I've got a bunch of them that are each wonderful and useful in their own way.

• Members

I love the way my amp sounds, so I don't use overdrive much, but the Bogner Uberschall distortion is a great pedal to extend into some more modern sounding but still juicy sounds.

Like most people I do love the sound of a tube screamer pushing a Fender. I simulate that with my Kemper profiler now.

• Members
Probably should say that I typically used dirt/boost pedals in front of my Fender Blues Junior. Love the clean tones' date=' love the way it takes pedals. None of my Vox amps have taken pedals that well (other than a boost pedal).[/quote']

Well, I like fuzz through my Vox. I'm not a huge fan of overdrive because it never gives me enough dirt. With fuzz, it's all about what type you use and how much, and just enough will do everything an overdrive pedal does with tasteful dirt on top.

• Members

I'm with Phil on this. I use a huge variety of different pedals and drives for different purposes, especially recording. I choose what works best for the music and the choices are constantly changing depending on what the music requires.

I been using allot of amp modeling lately. I can pick and choose different amp types and match them with different cabs and set the drives/EQ/effects up as needed. A Clean Bassman with a 2X12 cab with low gain might be great for Rhythm, and the same head choice cranked, Mids Boosted, compression echo and 10" cab may be ideal for lead. Or I could select a cranked Twin, Champ, Hiwatt, Solano, Buddha Diesel, Marshall etc.

Then you add fuzz, or overdrive pedal emulations to clean or driven amps and have literally thousands of choices to choose from a single modeling pedal.

I do have a ton of single pedals, different amps and cabs to choose from too. Playing live I keep it super simple. I use a Marshall compressor, A tube screamer or Blues Breaker for low gain, Marshall Governor or OCD Clone for Higher gain, Chorus and echo. 5 pedals on a small pedal board which I can stick in the back of my combo cab and set up or break down super quick.

In the studio I have a double tiered pedal board that fits around 12 pedals depending on the size and I have at least two dozen others I can swap out for a change of pace, Or I can run a second fully loaded pedal board for guests. I even have several pedals I built myself like a Fuzzrite and MKII.

Trying to pick out a favorite out of all of them is impossible. I simply see them all as branches on the same tree and I can easily get bored to death if I were limited to single options.

• Members

I love some good overdrive combinations stacked. You can check out the top sample (bluesmann8) to hear me with one of my favorite the Burriss boostiest. I use it into a Maxon od 1 . here's the full recording here too if anyone is interested.

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=7191729&q=hi&newref=1

And good overdrive depends a lot on the amplifier its going into whether it sounds natural or not. A blackfaced amp design seems to work its magic best with the TS types. The mid bump balances out with these types of amps. I use a tone King Meteor II 740 A most of the time for some killer cleans with my pedals. I've got a collection of pedals with mostly the high end stuff . The whole Landgraff line, rock box, love pedal, some Chinese boutique stuff, providence stuff and a ton of other hand made stuff. There is also a tube called the Mullard Ecc83 for V1 amazing tube if you get a good one. its the sum of all the parts, the right speaker, I like a E120 jbl or a cannabis rex. It can get deep with lots of different compressors to check out as well. Did someone say fuzz? that's another subject and a way of doing things.

• Members

I hear you my friend. There's also a lot of tone shaping pre od with eq pedals and my favorite parametric eq pedals for some Albert King sting. If you know what you're seeking you can just about get any artist tone out there. Try and nail some Billy Gibbons.

• Members
Here's another one I really like a lot - it's probably the most well thought-out, best engineered pedal I've ever run across...

tightdriveangledrawerclosed%25E2%2580%258F-e9425b27.jpg

The Amptweaker Tightdrive Pro - it can do just about anything except brew your coffee.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/amptweaker-tightdrive-pro

I like the spirals on the knobs. (uv active no doubt) James brown is a credit to manufacturing. Listened to the Bigrock version. Actually conjures up visions of stacks and walls.

I like the spirals on the knobs. (uv active no doubt)

No UV, just machined dimples into the sides of the knobs so you can see how they're set - oh, and red LEDs that illuminate them so you can still see them, even on a dark stage. :)

And that's just the start... just about every aspect of this pedal that you can think of has received similar thought and attention - not only from the designers at Amptweaker, but also from their customers - Amptweaker actively seeks out and incorporates the best ideas and suggestions from their customers into their pedal designs.

If you'd like to read more about the TightDrive Pro, here's a link to the review I wrote on it.

James brown is a credit to manufacturing. Listened to the Bigrock version. Actually conjures up visions of stacks and walls.

Yeah, James is the real deal. He really knows what he's doing.

• Members

I'm a firm believer that tone is in the fingers.

What works for me is a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 into an old silverface Princeton Reverb pushing a Jensen P10R. It's like adding an extra tube gain stage to the Princeton.

I find that the Blues Driver does not have a sound of its own but instead allows me to dial in a dynamic range where I can be both comfortable and subtle with my playing - I don't use a pick very often so the extra bit of gain from the pedal is welcome.

Put the unit under back light and see if they glow.

I assumed you meant "black light", so I went ahead and tried it. :)

fetch?filedataid=126391

The only things that really fluoresce are the two white knobs (Boost Volume and Boost Gain) on the top of the pedal. The indentations on the main knobs are not UV treated - they're just exposed bare metal.

Archived