Great neck pickups

mbengs1

• Members

I have a dimarzio paf pro on my RG and an Evolution on my JEM. both good neck pickups. like satriani and vai hehe. but i kinda like my stock neck pickups on my ibanez S and RG320. what are other great dimarzio neck pickups that go with their high output pickups?

• Members

Air Norton, Full Shred, Sentient, EMG 85, EMG 81 (yes, in the neck), Sustainiac. But are you really going to change anything?

If you're feeling up to modding, simply swapping the magnets around in the 320 makes a Huge improvement. Not a pickup swap, just the magnets. There's two pieces of wood in each, and a little glue. Don't use pliers on the magnets. I've also replaced the screws on the pickups with oversize head Allen screws and had pretty good results. Don't worry if the screw sticks out of the bottom a little, lots of pickups do.

• Members

Stacked humbuckers in the neck position, my favorites are ....

The Bill Lawrence L-250 ( from the mid 70's / 1984), they sound like P90 on steroids and don't color your sound too much, they bring out the nuances of the guitar. And they sound awesome both clean and distorted ....very articulate. The ones I have are rated between 12.98 k ohms to 13.69 k ohms.

The Dragonfire Duo Rail , similar sounding to a Bill Lawrence L-250, Dimarzio Chopper with a PAF upper mids bite yet splits so well, it can give a SRV / Hendrix tone. Mine 5 pickups are rated between 11.67k ohms to 12.48k ohms

The Dimarzio Chopper, this pickup is great and underated. Similar to a Dimarzio YJM- HS-4 in so many ways. Mine is rated at 9.37k ohms.

Full size humbuckers for the neck .

Seymour Duncan Screamin'Demon, rated at 10.20k ohms, sounds similar to Bill Lawrence L-250 with more upper mids and splits so well, you can get very Bluesy with some nice Strat "Quack" out of that pickup.... Not to mention, it makes my 1974 Les Paul Custom sound like an acoustic with a Acoustic guitar simulator.

The Bill Lawrence XL-500 ( from the mid 70's to 1984), this pickup is sometimes rated between 11.28k ohms to 14.01k ohms, spits great and gives a very convincing acoustic sound with an acoustic simulator. No matter how hard I push this pickup with distortion, it never happens to get muddy.

• Members

The first section are single coil sized, all good pickups, but not what he needs.

The second set, again I agree with, but the Lawrence's are still made today. I still have one in the bridge of my L6s, and a DiMarrzio Classic 2 in the neck. Issue is, that guitar is light years away from what he owns, same with your Paul.

• Members

The Bill Lawrence pickups made between the mid 1970's to 1984, were made to sound better, at least to my ears. The new ones are flat sounding and tend to lack definition, some are good, but are more inconsistent in my ears.

As for my post, it was only my opinion, as for mbeings was suggesting a question.

I forgot to mention, the Dimarzio Air Norton, Humbucker from Hell, Custom EJ pickups are are also great pickups.

• Members
Seems like everybody's coming out with a new pickup. There is one pickup IMO that will never have its as kicked by any other pickup and it sounds beautiful in the neck p[position. The Duncan 59

th?id=OIP.hkOsAt_CWiNFGbxFy45zzQEsCy&w=300&h=178&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

​I tried the Duncan 59' neck pickup on the washburn N4 nuno signature guitar. very standard nice neck pickup. have tried the Duncan jazz? sounds excellent too. like the 59' but darker.

Archived