Simple pot question..

Jazzer2020

• Members

Not that pot guys! :)

I have a Gibson archtop with one P90 pickup. Its volume pot needs some work

(probably the tone pot needs work too).

So last night I was playing the guitar and the tone was really bland.

I fiddled a bit with the vol pot and right away I heard some crackles.

The vol had been at around 8 or so.

I moved her up to 10 and wow!

Now I was getting a full rich beautiful sound! I didn't want to stop playing.

So my questions:

Will cleaning the pot just remove the crackling or will it also allow me

to achieve the same rich tone at lower volumes?

I think I remember hearing over the years something about having to have the volume

full up to get the best tonal results. Is this true?

• Members

Bong... oh wait....

Yes, cleaning the pots will remove the crackling and give you that full open tone. BUT.... When you lower the volume, you lose some of the high end. It's normal. A VERY simple way of fixing this is what's called a "treble bleed". It's an .001 capacitor wired between the in and out of the pot. When you lower the volume, the same tone that you have a full, will be there, just as a lower volume. Take you about 3 minutes to do it yourself. (there are versions of this diagram that uses a resistor too, but I never noticed a difference between the two.) [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31984949[/ATTACH]

• Members
I think you're on the right track. Highly recommend the treble bleed mod.

I use full volume on my guitar and use pedals and my amp channels / boost to adjust my volume. Just sounds sweeter to me.

Do you use the resistor? Ive only used it with resistor, which corrects the pot sweep iirc? Definitely a worth trying the mod to see if you like. I went back to without the mod. I try to use the change in tone to my advantage. Keeps volume up in the mix, but reduces presence.

• Members

As I mentioned at the top, this is an archtop guitar, as most of my guitars are.

I remember a number of years ago taking out the electronics on a few of them to do some work.

What a PITA!

Is there no other way to clean the pots on these here guitars (other than first removing them from the cavity)?

• Members

Nope, you have to pull them out. Take the knobs off, tie a thread around the shaft of the pots, (or use some shrink wrap tubing.), pull the pots out, clean, solder the cap, then go backwards and finish up.

As much as I love hollows and semi hollows, (I have 11) I charge extra for them when doing electrical. What takes 5 minutes on a solid, can take an hour or two on a hollow.

• Members

Hey - I just got the latest Stewmac catalogue and noticed they sell a purpose-built tool for this called a Pot Cleaning Cap. It screws onto a pot and has a hole in the side for the straw of the pot cleaner.

It's expensive, but I could see it being useful for solid bodies as well.

• Members

Its a work around at best. It may work with some pots that have enough gap along the shaft bit the best method of cleaning by far is giving them a shot from the opening on its side, in fact it can be better because the shaft is often greased. When you clean it from the top all you do is shoot all the grease and metal particles down into the contacts where you don't want them and the pot becomes too loose.

Archived