NGD+Mods+Wiring Help

hellion_213

• Members

I normally wouldn't have a Strat, just not a Strat guy, but I figured id make an exception in this case. I haven't had a Strat for years, but I figured I'm a little older, so, maybe. I did play a friend of mines Carvin Strat, recently, abhorred the neck, and couldn't stand the volume knob placement, but I dug the sound and it was a good player. So...here she is.

I only played it for like thirty seconds before i began tearing into it. I figure this is a great mod platform, and I'm pretty stoked about it. So.....

I have now installed the Dan Armstrong wiring mod, (Master volume, master tone, blend pot) and am installing a GFS Floyd, uncertain whether or not to go with non-recessed or fully recessed. (I really don't want to shim the neck) I'm also not sure whether im going to install the locking nut, or a go with a bone nut,, locking tuners and roller hangers. Its getting the Eric Johnson treatment - paint removal of all areas that aren't visible - cavities, under the pick guard, under the trem, neck pocket, neck heel. I'm replacing the crap magnets with Neodymium magnets. And strap locks. Also, the frets are Flat! So im going to either recrown or re-fret, and refinish the fretboard.

Now on to the wiring help. I would also like to incorporate the Mike Eldred mod - passive cocked wah. I would probably have to install this separately, so im thinking a two way switch off the bridge leads, one to the Dan Armstrong, one to the Mike Eldred. As far as i can tell, the Eldred mod doesn't have to have the three way switch, so could i get by with just running two 250k pots and two .047 caps-. seperate leads to the jack from each mod? Also, The eldred mod is built on a double coil single, I'm only running singles, so do I need a dummy coil, or is that not important? Thanks!

• Members

Ok, the way that I see it, the Eldred mod is the cap from the switch to ground. Very simple to add that as a push pull switch. And no, you won't need dummy coils, it was geared for 2 singles.

The other mod looks to be a series/parallel, controlled by a pot. When turned to 10, you have the neck and bridge as a single humbuckers. (think 4 way switch on a tele) I don't know if it works, since it looks like at least one pickup won't be grounded when not engaged. If I am wrong, please, someone explain to me how it would work.

Archived