Who makes good P90 pickups?

u6crash

• Members

I haven't decided on pickups for my guitar build yet, but I plan to use three P90s. In my dream scenario, each of the three would look mildly different; maybe a staple P90 in the neck, standard in middle, and mock gold foil in the bridge (you can see here).

I'd kind of like to get them all from the same place and I kind of think it would be cool to support a smaller startup like a one or two person operation. Is anyone in these forums making pickups?

One candidate right now is Mojo Pickups in the UK. They are made to order and he does custom stuff. They aren't Guitar Fetish cheap, but aren't Seymour Duncan Custom Shop expensive.

What sound am I looking for? I play in the bridge position most and like to start with a clean sound with a good amount of attack. I'll use pedals to distort it up from there.

Appreciate any leads you folks can give me, thanks!

• Members

I'm sure you will get lots of answers to this. The customer for one of the tele-clone that I'm building right now wanted a P-90 in the neck and standard single in the bridge and asked me to install these

http://www.budzguitars.com/budzguitars/Home.html

I trust his judgement and bought two sets - haven't had a chance to play them yet.

• Members
Lollar. nuff said.

They tick all the boxes in terms of looks. Silly as it sounds, I do want to have something visually different about each one and I could do it with their staple pickup, a standard alnico, and the gold foil. It would only set me back $455. That's really hard for me to justify when I don't have first hand experience with them.

• Moderators
I haven't decided on pickups for my guitar build yet' date=' but I plan to use three P90s. In my dream scenario, each of the three would look mildly different; maybe a staple P90 in the neck, standard in middle, and mock gold foil in the bridge (you can see here).

I'd kind of like to get them all from the same place and I kind of think it would be cool to support a smaller startup like a one or two person operation. Is anyone in these forums making pickups?

One candidate right now is Mojo Pickups in the UK. They are made to order and he does custom stuff. They aren't Guitar Fetish cheap, but aren't Seymour Duncan Custom Shop expensive.

What sound am I looking for? I play in the bridge position most and like to start with a clean sound with a good amount of attack. I'll use pedals to distort it up from there.

Appreciate any leads you folks can give me, thanks!

I have a set of Mojo's dogears.

Good.

Not better than Gibson

I have a Lollar, very good, as good as Gibson

The only one I do lust after, is a set of Harmonic Designs.

IMHO, winders generally do one pickup style better than others, but I've come across very few duff P90s. The P90s in current Epiphones are really very good.

• Members

I may be over thinking, but with a Gold Foil bridge, pole middle, and staple neck, is it possible to run into a Jangly front end, dark middle, and bright neck kind of scenario where the switch wiring just became that much more important? And traditional wiring schemes may not be the best route?

• Members

I have a set of Mojo's dogears.

Good.

Not better than Gibson

I have a Lollar, very good, as good as Gibson

The only one I do lust after, is a set of Harmonic Designs.

IMHO, winders generally do one pickup style better than others, but I've come across very few duff P90s. The P90s in current Epiphones are really very good.

The pickup Mojo makes that I'm most intrigued by is the Teisco Gold Foils. It's one of few they offer a sound clip for and is described as a personal favorite. It's not a P90, but the size looks close. I thought I might ask about it and see if I could either get it in a P90 form factor. On the other hand, I could pay a little more for the Lollar's and have them in hand much sooner.

What pot values do you use with yours? I've seen a lot of discussion on this elsewhere. I might A/B them with 250k vs. 500k. A bit of a hassle, but then I'll know what I really want. It doesn't help that I'm going with a non-traditional wiring method of master volume and master tone.

• Members
I may be over thinking' date=' but with a Gold Foil bridge, pole middle, and staple neck, is it possible to run into a Jangly front end, dark middle, and bright neck kind of scenario where the switch wiring just became that much more important? And traditional wiring schemes may not be the best route?[/quote']

Good points. 90% of my playing is in the bridge. My wiring will be Strat combinations, but with a master volume and tone. If the combos of bridge/middle and middle/bridge aren't that great, I'll still have the option to play any of them alone. Since middle alone is the setup I use least, I'm kind of looking for something vanilla that can complement either the neck or bridge.

• Members

I have BKP-91s in my SG classic and it's now 9 years that I suffer from jaw dislocations every time I plug it in. I have guitars and my friends have guitars and so on and so on, but I've not heard anything like it. And you know how sometimes you hear an awesome sound but few weeks later you don't think it's that awesome really? Well this isn't that for me.

Archived