Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 vs Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/100

kaiburns

• Members

I'm scratching my head quite a bit, and I just don't know what I want. I'm looking for a tone similar to the crunch/clean tone in this song:

And also the distortion tone in this demo:

Matt Bellamy of Muse actually used a JCM 2000, and that's why I want one. However, he was playing live in big places, and I'll just be playing in a garage with my friends.

Here's what someone said on another forum regarding these two amps:

"These are two totally different beasts. Many guys with a Marshall stack would buy the Mini Mark V for its more reasonable weight and volume (it gets down to 10 watts). Its beauty is in its size and weight. I'm afraid any good Marshall amp 50 or 100w - when you really want that grungy, distorted tone - will always sound buzzy and weird, until you reach the right volume point, and get evicted. The Mark V 25 does it so effortlessly, at whisper volume. It's the tone we all always wanted from Marshall and never could muster. At this point, I'm starting to sound like a Mesa salesman for the Mini Mesa... which I'm not. I don't even like Mesa - never had... So - just go and try it. I fell in love with it, bought it new on the spot. I have many amps & cabs - this is all I play at home and gig with"

While it sounds great, a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/100 used (along with a Marshall 1960A cab used) is about the same price as just the Mesa head without a cab (which is pretty damn expensive). Also, I have played through a Marshall JCM 800 50 Watt Lead 1x12, and even at a whisper volume, it didn't sound that buzzy. And when I cranked it up a bit it didn't sound buzzy at all, but still wasn't too loud, and I don't think the situation with that amp would be different with a JCM 2000.

So, what do you think? Marshall or Mesa?

Archived