Good electric guitar for rockabilly, 50's music under $2000?

Omar562

• Members

Hello Everyone!

I just acquired some spending money to use on a guitar that I will hopefully keep forever.

Im currently really into rockabilly right now but I have always played indie singer-songwriter type stuff. Im leaning towards this guitar https://reverb.com/item/3200297-fender-coronado-ii-antigua-1967-antigua I. I love vintage guitars, the more unique the better. I would also like for it to hold its value so if i end up selling it I won't lose too much. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. There are just so many options i cant decide, I would prefer hollow-body guitars. Thank you!

fetch?filedataid=121975

• Members

I'n not exactly a rockabilly player, but I have a few ideas to help maybe narrow it down. Many years ago I was testing out an amp and just happen to grab a Gretsch Tn Rose . I really dug the guitar ended up buying one. Since the I added a Gretsch power jet to what I have. Both guitar are new versions of Gretsch guitars, as they were never made back in the day.

The Hi Filterons are good, but what TV Jones does, is just a step up.

The TN Rose I have has Hi Filtertons the Power Jet has TV Jones Power trons. There's more of a bite to the TV Jones pick up without being hi gain pick ups.

Since my purchases they have climbed another 500 bucks. That's just the way it is.

Both are made in Japan, as are all the Gretsch guitars from there Professional Collection.

Th least costly guitar Gretsch makes from there Professional Collection are a touch over 2 grand new . It's called the G 6118T. You get a real Bigsby on them too, not a licensed Bigsby. There one two colors they make of the 6118 and that is the weird Green and the weird Ivory. They sound very good.

Another option is an Electromatic. I have seen guys do a TV Jones pick up upgrade and the sound real amazing.

Order the plastic tube pick up kit that TV Jones sells to change pick ups, or you be fishing wires forever. Down the road it will still be an Electromatic, but it's a nice bar gigging axe.

The amp you use is critical for a great rockabilly tone, if you want that Brian Setzer sound.

I also have a coupe of Godin 5th ave's hat do more of a roots than than the rockabilly thing. I like them, but they sound nothing like the Gretsch's.

You might like the Eddie Cochran model too, over something with Hi Filtertrons.

In the used market, I'm not so good, and never recommend anything ( buyer beware, yet there's some great stuff out there). However Wildwood has some used stuff.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/...ns/?cat_id=215

ooh

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/...ge/?cat_id=215

I am a fan of the 3 position mud switch over the tone control.

Nice if you ask me. I just don't care for the color

[video=youtube;AdDyj7AkYQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDyj7AkYQU

[video=youtube;MdE4uxQxv0o]

I am a fan of Jerry Miller who plays with Eilen Jewels band, and have seen them a few times live. His Gretsch is solid body Chet Atkins Gretsch and he plays through a Blackface deluxe Reverb. Setzer Christmas show has been on my list to see for like 20 years.

[video=youtube;CZntwklkcfo]

[video=youtube;79C8Ckr7Dms]

I would choose a Gretsch over a say a Gibson ES 295 with Bigsby and P90's ( which are really nice too). That is if you can fine a 295.

The Filtertrons and JV Jones have a bite somewhere between a 90 and a tele.

I'm not sure if this helps ya out. As usual, I'm a bit over budget, but do it right and do it once.

• Members
Hello Everyone!

I just acquired some spending money to use on a guitar that I will hopefully keep forever.

Im currently really into rockabilly right now but I have always played indie singer-songwriter type stuff. Im leaning towards this guitar https://reverb.com/item/3200297-fender-coronado-ii-antigua-1967-antigua I. I love vintage guitars, the more unique the better. I would also like for it to hold its value so if i end up selling it I won't lose too much. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. There are just so many options i cant decide, I would prefer hollow-body guitars. Thank you!

fetch?filedataid=121975

Two phrases really jump out in that antigua listing that would make me think twice.

"The frets are fairly low so it will need a refret in the next couple of years"

"...and has definitely been in a lot of smokey bars."

I'd stear clear of that one and look at some Gretsch guitars.

• Members

Ok, here is my two cents. I've got a Cort (yes Cort) Sunset 1, modeled on Gretsch Spectrasonic. All good/great hardware: TV Jones pickups, tone pros roller bridge, etc. Nothing needs upgrade, would need to get a case. (I put Gretsch knobs on in place of chicken heads) Great build quality, love it to death. Seen on reverb for around $900.

• Members

Oddly enough, Godin took this off of their Facebook page. They listed it as new for NAMM 2017. This is a 5th avenue uptown GT GoldSilver LTD that comes with TV Jones pups. No more info was provided other than "contact your local dealer for more info."

• Moderators

there are many more options under even $1000...Dean Palomino and Epiphone Wild Kat, Swingster and Broadway come immediately to mind.

I also agree that the Antigua may not be a good investment....nor will it get you the bold rockabilly tone you are after.

As to amps, a BF Fender with reverb is de rigeur...Vibrolux, Princeton, Deluxe...but....the Supersonic 22 will cover the sound just fine, as will the new BassBreaker...you will also benefit from having a delay pedal set to slapback...:wave:

• Members
there are many more options under even $1000...Dean Palomino and Epiphone Wild Kat' date='[/b'] Swingster and Broadway come immediately to mind.

I also agree that the Antigua may not be a good investment....nor will it get you the bold rockabilly tone you are after.

As to amps, a BF Fender with reverb is de rigeur...Vibrolux, Princeton, Deluxe...but....the Supersonic 22 will cover the sound just fine, as will the new BassBreaker...you will also benefit from having a delay pedal set to slapback...:wave:

The Wild kat is a cool lil Hollowbody. So inexpensive too. I can't tell you the number of times I almost gabbed on. The necks is a bit on the chubby side. The cheap P90's need an upgrade ( too dark). and so does the other electronics. For a price of like 4-450, it would be worth looking at. I almost talked myself into one again. Plus it needs a case, 89. bucks.

You can easily negotiate 20% off of the guitar at the GC at Christmas time.

[video=youtube;G-26Sc8bFG4]

• Members
Ok' date=' here is my two cents. I've got a Cort (yes Cort) Sunset 1, modeled on Gretsch Spectrasonic. All good/great hardware: TV Jones pickups, tone pros roller bridge, etc. Nothing needs upgrade, would need to get a case. (I put Gretsch knobs on in place of chicken heads) Great build quality, love it to death. Seen on reverb for around $900. [video=youtube_share;yj3bcJM77rM]https://youtu.be/yj3bcJM77rM fetch?filedataid=122016

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. This is on my GAS list for sure.

• Members

How about a Peter Anderson Signature Reverend Guitar.

less than a grand with case and shipping.

https://reverb.com/item/3565938-reverend-pete-anderson-pa-1-rt-green-w-case

1499 new at MF

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/reverend-pete-anderson-signature-pa-1-rt-electric-guitar/j09351000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiAvs7CBRC24rao6bGCoiASJABaCt5DXp3GqU_-UUr5R7aIoKosBgrK0Pyhqoc2W8GywZGcsRoC1iHw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^459119880912-sku^J09351000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA#productDetail

[video=youtube;Sx6ynGoFFe0]

[video=youtube;s8OtNydj8h4]

[video=youtube;EcDF-lWA5sE]

Reverend Tor pups, but I have seen different pups in different models, some have the Reverend P90's

24346_lg1.jpg

I lie this demo on the Godin Montreal with humbees and Bigsby. That is before he switches guitars. Most of the other Godin Montreal demos I have sen are jazz guys.

[video=youtube;CSseCMvfeRA]

• Members

You can convert a lot of hollowbody, semi-hollowbody, and many solidbody guitars into "rockabilly" guitars by simply doing a pickup change, And, the overwhelming vote in my mind for such a pickup change would be for a compatible *TRON pickup for your guitar from TV Jones.

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups.html

TV Jones makes fantastic pickups and they aren't really that horribly expensive. They are worth every penny TV Jones asks for them, because they are very very well built pickups that are manufactured entirely in the TV Jones facility, and given the fact that nobody builds as many aftermarket *TRON model pickups as TV Jones does, they are your first choice for such pickups. Even Gretsch uses TV Jones' pickups on some of their special and signature models. So, if that ain't an endorsement of TV Jones' expertise and quality, I don't know what is!

Sometimes you can run into someone selling their (used) TV Jones pickups for whatever reason, but, I can tell that would be a fairly uncommon find. Still, you might look around. You could get lucky.

By the way, a cheap and modest substitute here might be one of the two GFS Gretsch-like RetroTron pickups, such as the Liverpool or the Nashville. These are gibby-sized humbuckers.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Retrotron-Series_c_99.html

• Moderators

I have GFS Nashvilles in my 'rockabilly' custom Gretsch-y guitar. Not quite Filtertrons or HiLotrons, but more so than any P90 or HB. I have a set of Filtertrons, but they are too small to put into the humbucker space. They may go into a tele body ...and in my lap steel...

• Members
Hello Everyone!

Im currently really into rockabilly right now but I have always played indie singer-songwriter type stuff. Im leaning towards this guitar https://reverb.com/item/3200297-fend...a-1967-antigua I. I love vintage guitars, the more unique the better. I would also like for it to hold its value so if i end up selling it I won't lose too much. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. There are just so many options i cant decide, I would prefer hollow-body guitars. Thank you!

fetch?filedataid=121975

Gretsch and take at around $1K new, Guild X-175B Newark Street model

• Members

Gretsch and take at around $1K new, Guild X-175B Newark Street model

The Guild is another good call.

[video=youtube;QH4_-lqIeb4]

I was thinking about there Guild T 50 at one time, but already had a Godin single pup 5th ave.

[video=youtube;PaScUY_9-Vs]

Also the Starfire III or Capri

[video=youtube;xab089P9mZE]

• Members

Yes. I don't believe it was mentioned earlier, but, Gretsch Filter'Trons are not quite the same size as an "industry standard" humbucker (i.e. -- Gibson humbucker). One can mount a Gretsch Filter'Tron pickup into an industry standard humbucker route by using the correct English Mount mounting ring for the job.

• Members

Obviously Gretsch. Godin, Eastwood, Reverend, the list is damn near endless at a 2K budget. Want to save a few buck, and maybe get 2? Ibanez AF75T. Looks Gretsch-like, sounds it, and has a trem that can be used. Add pickups of your choice, and save about 1400. maybe put the extra cash into an amp, or a few pedals.

Archived