Strat vs Tele

Phil O'Keefe

The differences that matter...

I thought this article on Reverb was pretty interesting.

https://reverb.com/news/stratocaster-vs-telecaster-the-differences-that-matter

So, what's your choice? Do you prefer one over the other? What aspects of your preferred model are most important to you, and do you think they got the main differences and iconic player lists right?

• Moderators

Ouch, most if not all 54 Strats were ash, they are not technically string thru, they just happened to be anchored by the vibrato block, and not adding Ritchie Blackmore, Hank Marvin and Buddy Holly to the list of players is criminal.

Adding Jimmy Page is stretching it a bit for the Tele, and mainly there so they can let people know that Pagey played a Tele on the majority of I and II, but is mainly a Gibson player, and leaving out Wilko Johnson as a Tele player is a tad harsh too.

Apart from that it's a rather cut n pastey piece, but I'm glad they didn't liken the Tele to a polygraph...that's one tired old cliche

• Members

I love Teles, but never owned an American one. I do prefer my Mustang, which gets me the twang and spank I like.

As far as Strats, I prefer HSS to SSS because the humbucker gives me the quack without the icepick bridge. Between a Tele and a Strat, I'd pick the Strat for leads and Tele for rhythm.

• Members

So, what's your choice? Depends on what I'm playing. That's the beauty of playing guitar and not piano. I can have multiple choices.

Do you prefer one over the other? I tend to lean toward my Strat for surf and the Tele for blues.

What aspects of your preferred model are most important to you, and do you think they got the main differences and iconic player lists right? List is off, as previous posts documented. The strat has the 3 pups for different combinations of tone. Plus the "wang" bar! Tele is bare bones no nonsense pickup and play. Look, Clapton and Hendrix picked the Strat for a reason, as Keith and Springsteen chose the tele...

• Members

I like them both for what they are.

I like a lot of the features of a strat but find them somewhat anaemic (compared to a Gibson) but that's what gives them the clarity I like so much.

Teles sound a bit more robust and can keep up with a Les Paul so I don't have to adjust the amplifier when switching guitars mid-set.

Ouch' date=' most if not all 54 Strats were ash, they are not technically string thru, they just happened to be anchored by the vibrato block, and not adding Ritchie Blackmore, Hank Marvin and Buddy Holly to the list of players is criminal.[/quote']

As was leaving Roy Buchanan and Ray Flacke off the Tele list. :cop:

I've owned both ash and alder Strats, as well as ash and alder Telecasters. ATM my main Strat and Tele are both alder bodied models.

• Members
Tele. The sound (of course) but maybe mostly due to the looks. It's an awesome design!

Looks are exactly why I don't like Teles in general. I find them to be butt ugly. Part is that ghawd awful control plate and part is the general shape. I dig the FMT Tele and I've seen a few Thinlines that I thought were cool looking but, at the end of the day, I'd want a hardtail Strat.

• Members

I did think that's a good read. I own several examples of each and enjoy both, but the Strat is my top choice of all guitars. Yeah, I love the neck pickup tone. I was initially drawn to them by the in-between "quack" tones, but their selection of the word "glassy" reminded me "that's it". Plus I also like the ergonomic feel compared to a Tele.

A couple issues that bugged me slightly is that Mark K seems to favor ash Strats over alder, so in that respect I wasn't as sure of him as a reference for the Strat Standard ingredients. But yet I do love his tone and have never found his tone to be overly bright, so you know he's got a good ash. :o I love his quack tones.

But I was also slightly bugged that after they mention the vibrato bar that they didn't list the master, Hank Marvin. He was indeed a pioneer of making that guitar catch on in the U.K. and inspiring many others, including Mark K, to seek out that instrument.

But yeah, nice little read. :thu:

Oh, and I have a '52 RI Tele, great sounding guitar, but it was made to old specs (except the weird finish combo of nitro on top of poly finish) and it also did not have a p'up selector position for Neck + Bridge. The top position is for tone rolled off to simulate a bass tone, middle is for the neck p'up and bottom position is for the bridge p'up. I've yet to get that modded, have the kit for it, but just never gotten around to it. But I'm guessing they missed that bit of history in their write up, but I'm not sure how long that feature prevailed with Teles too.

• Members

When I was coming up Tele's were either for players who couldn't afford a real guitar or the endless parade of wanna-be drugstore-cowboy bands. I was rock and roll leaning so we tended to shun the cowboys.

I tried getting over it. I owned an Aerodyne Tele for a while which, to me, fixed everything I didn't like about Tele's. It was a great Telecaster - probably the best Tele ever made, but I just didn't play it all that much and sold it.

I love my Strat. It's a real mutt put together from bits here and bobs there, but it plays great and sounds killer. It's not even pretty, but I still prefer it over a Tele.

• Members
When I was coming up Tele's were either for players who couldn't afford a real guitar or the endless parade of wanna-be drugstore-cowboy bands. I was rock and roll leaning so we tended to shun the cowboys.

I tried getting over it. I owned an Aerodyne Tele for a while which, to me, fixed everything I didn't like about Tele's. It was a great Telecaster - probably the best Tele ever made, but I just didn't play it all that much and sold it.

I love my Strat. It's a real mutt put together from bits here and bobs there, but it plays great and sounds killer. It's not even pretty, but I still prefer it over a Tele.

In the end, that's what counts.

[video=youtube;vrCvLOpLKQ8]

[video=youtube;5HTVMh7fur4]

• Members

Like Mikeo's quote about strat v tele, but one I sorta remember from years ago here went something like "Strat is the homecoming queen, but tele like the hood girl you want to take in back seat and make out with at high school dance"...

• Members

Curious.

You could tell it was a BS article when it talked about the simplicity of the tele requiring you to be a better player. ;)

I like both, though I have strats because that's what's been available when I've needed a versatile guitar. We have 3 strats here, and they all sound different, although none sound like a tele I'm tempted to amend that. TBH it doesn't have to be one or the other: one isn't Trump and the other Clinton.

• Members

Early gig today, so please excuse not reading previous posts.

I prefer the Strat. Why?

1) More comfortable contoured body.

2) I love the 1+2 and 2+3 pup sounds

3) Better high fret access

4) More accessible volume knob

5) Whammy

I do like the Tele Twang though, but for me the above is more important.

Notes

• Members
Buck, that was a really common perception among kids when I was in high school - Strats are for lead, Teles are for rhythm. And given the number of lead players who favored a Tele (even back then), I'm not exactly sure where that came from. :idk:

Unlike the Strat, I think the Tele compliments all styles, however basic or complex. Strumming E-A-D doesn't sound as good to me on a Strat as it does a Tele, though.

Of course, I haven't kept any of the Teles I owned. I prefer my Strat.

Archived