Does this look like a fake?

thatsbunk

• Members

No, he said "the original paint was so thick it literally filled in the serial number on the headstock" which I'm inclined to doubt. Not necessarily a fake but I have a bad vibe about it. Anyway, personally I wouldn't pay that much for a repainted guitar with no visible serial number. YMMV.

• Members

I'm with the others, Theres allot of things wrong with this instrument. That flat spot on the back of the neck near the headstock doesn't look right and the angle of the headstock does not look Gibson to me.

If he did paint over the serial number, There's no way of knowing if it was a Chinese fake. The counterfeits stamp through the lacquer. A good reason to paint over it would be to hide that.

The headstock angle, painted over serial number, Nut looks too fat and looks like plastic instead of bone, The flat spot on the back of the heck at the nut, the wrong tuners, The Knob placement doesn't look right to me either. The tuners do look like they were changed but who sticks crappy junk tuners like that on a Gibson when you can buy decent tuners for practically nothing.

Too many issues for my liking. I say pass on that one, especially with a new paint job. Besides who paints a Gibson these days. Its sure to loose 1/3 its resale even with a mint job done.

• Members

^^^ It may be. I have been comparing it to an original and it may be exactly what the OP says it is.

Still I wouldn't want someone else's load of crap caused by bad decisions when I buy used.

Here's one that's unmodified for $750 with shipping.

• Members

I'll make one comment based on my limited experience. I don't know if the original guitar is a fake or a cheap copy or a real Gibson SG. What I do know is that amateur refinishes are almost always worse than any factory paint job. Changing color makes it even harder - masking edges and binding, overspray into cavities.... The seller says that he "painted" it with "poly". The polyester finishes uses by the big manufactures are either chemically or UV light catalyzed - the average guy at home doesn't have that equipment. So the finish is most likely rattle can polyurethane - I can promise that it won't meet my standards and probably not yours.

When I see a guitar that has been refinished I automatically cut its value in half. Then, of course there are all the other issues.

• Members
Seems a weird model to go through a lot of trouble to fake.

Actually its very profitable and doesn't take that much work. The China Auction site is loaded with fakes that are hard to tell from the real deal. This guitar is especially easy to counterfeit because you don't have the binding over the frets which is a tough job to copy well.

You obviously never see the fake Gibson logo these guitars have nor the same serial # punched through the lacquer.

This counterfeit sells for $299. Selling as a real Gibson for $800 makes for a nice profit.

The seller covered all the bases that would lead to easy detection of it being a fake. The Hardware, Tuners, Pickups wiring, switch, pots, and Serial number are all dead give aways when you see them up close.

Painting it, and replacing the cheap hardware is suspicious because those items would allow you to easily detect ot being a fake. He didn't use real Gibson hardware either because that would eat up any profits. The model is lower end too which would be more likely to slip under the radar.

Its being sold on Craigs list instead of Ebay. You can get your money back on ebay when you're ripped off and detect it. You meet some guy off Craig's list and once he drives away with your cash is his word over yours he even sold it to you.

Allot of stolen guitars get reworked too so it make very well be a Gibson.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31717531[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31717532[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31717533[/ATTACH]

• Members

Fake or no, I think this seller is gonna have a hard time getting anyone to purchase at the price he's asking. I see faded SG's all the time on guitar center's used site for ~500

$500 (if it is a gibson) + cheapie trem + can of spray paint doesn't equal $850

I had/have no interest in the guitar but just found it really weird that it has open tuners...

• Members

I don't necessarily think it's fake, but the price is way off base for a Gibson SG Special anyway. If it were the right price I'd be interested BUT I would simply open the control cavity and see if the wiring is original Gibson, it would be easy to tell if the pickup wires look correct. I've owned at least 10 SG's....I have had SG Specials where the pain was so thick some of the numbers were almost impossible to see, they probably would have disappeared with a re-paint. The re-finish actually looks nice.

Archived