Fender's really reaching with their "Signature Lines"

thatsbunk

• Members

I don't know.....yeah he's famous for the explorer.....but for a lot of us... U2 at the height of their existence...was more represented by the strat.

[YOUTUBE]ldvTYPhvhTM[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think it's strange that fender would want him on board.

Hell...even back before that he split time pretty evenly with his strat I think. I just took a look at the Live at Red Rocks from back around 83 and he's using what looks to be that same strat more than the explorer.

• Members

Signature models IMO are often worth the extra bucks IF they come with appointments that warrant the extra cost or value. For example, I've bought EJ, SRV and JV Strats, Joe B and Slash LPs, and a Popa Chubby Korina V - P-90s. And I really wouldn't mind having an Yngwie Malmsteen or Eric Clapton Strat - but I can resist the temptation.

What floors me are these type of sig models - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

• Members

You guys are arguing against modern marketing techniques. It just IS the way companies do things. And it's not like this is something new. It's been a 15 to 20 years of this stuff. We haven't needed any new signature guitars at any point in modern guitar history. Did the world really need a Clapton signature strat? That guitar was only ever about ONE thing....shifting units. To get upset about it seems strange to me.

Plus it's a slowly dying industry and the guitar manufacturers are desperate to try and keep their production numbers up. They're flinging guitars out there like monkey's flinging poo. Hoping and praying that something sticks.

• Members

Plus it's a slowly dying industry and the guitar manufacturers are desperate to try and keep their production numbers up. They're flinging guitars out there like monkey's flinging poo. Hoping and praying that something sticks.

The "they" is USA manufactures, and they are grasping at straws due to sweatshop guitars getting better & better for cheaper & cheaper.

• Members
Signature models IMO are often worth the extra bucks IF they come with appointments that warrant the extra cost or value.

What floors me are these type of sig models - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

I second this...so long as what you're getting is what you want - extras that aren't on other production models, and not just a different paint job or inlays, it can definitely be worthwhile. Having said that, Guitar players are most likely to skip the Dr. Pepper, Walking Dead, Avengers, and celebrity inspired signature models Unless they intend on modding - these are more geared toward the collector. A sale is a sale, period.

By the way, isn't the LP a 'Signature' model, technically?

• Members

lol... seriously? Have you ever seen him play live? Strats (a lot), Les Pauls, Teles, ES-335s, Explorers, among others. I'd love to have one of the Edge Strats. Very cool signature model, IMO.

• Members

The "they" is USA manufactures, and they are grasping at straws due to sweatshop guitars getting better & better for cheaper & cheaper.

give me a break. They are ones MAKING the sweatshop guitars. They are grasping at straws because the guitar is a fading instrument in terms of interest. The biggest fans and buyers of guitars, the baby boomers, are dying and not buying them like they were even 10 years ago.

Xer's like me are much more ambivalent to guitars. We hold the music in high regard but for sure don't care what instrument we are making it with. We like the collections but aren't bound by it and we don't buy as many.

Y generation even less so.

And millennials don't even care about guitar based music. It's their "classical" music. A guitar for them is like a violin is for us. (yes of course there are exceptions....before the 5 millennials who post here come and tell me how much they love guitars and guitar based music)

The market is flooded with probably millions of guitars of all levels and there is nobody left to sell them too. Rock is the new blues. A music for a certain crowd that is far out of the mainstream. Which means guitar companies are going to see some extremely tough times in the next 20 years.

• Members

It's not only the USA manufacturers. Gibson and Fender have plenty of overseas factories.

IMHO it's a problem with capitalism (not that communism is any better - it's actually worse).

The problem is, too many people are part owners of a corporation without actually participating in the business (stockholders).

Stockholders need to make a profit on their stocks quarter after quarter after quarter. That means the corporation has to grow and grow and grow quarter after quarter and sell more than they did last quarter. Too many months of no growth, or worse - loss, and the stockholders jump ship for something that will provide a return for them.

Contrast this with a small business that doesn't sell stock. A small business only needs to sell the same amount every month and only needs to make enough money to pay for overhead and salaries. Oh, it's nice if it grows, but if it makes money and keeps up with inflation, that's all that is necessary.

Small company "A" might make widgets. If selling 1,000 widgets a month is enough to keep the company solvent, it can sell 1,000 widgets a month and no more forever as long as it can raise the price of those widgets to reflect inflationary costs.

Corporation "B" sells super widgets. Selling 1,000 super widgets per month is enough to pay salaries and overhead, but the value of the stock stays flat. The stockholders own 49% of the corporation, and expect their stock value to increase forever (nothing on Earth can grow forever). So Corporation B has to sell more super widgets this quarter than it did last quarter, and ditto for each succeeding quarter. 1,000 super widgets this quarter, 1,200 next quarter, 1,500 next, 2,000 next ad infinitum.

What to do? Sales are flat. We are only selling enough super widgets to supply new users with super widgets, and that is just enough to pay the bills, not enough to pay the stockholders.

There are a few solutions. Cheapen the product so the mark-up is higher. --- Cut labor costs so the mark-up is higher. Cheapen the product so it doesn't last very long and so the existing customers have to replace their super widgets more often. Figure out other ways to sell the existing customers more super-widgets than they need.

More widgets: examples Signature Model Guitars - I know you have that Strat but that super-star signature strat will look great in your colletion --- I know you have a perfectly good working xPhone, but the new xPhone will make you the envy of your peers --- I know those wire rimmed glasses look good on you and you can still see perfectly with them, but the new style is big plastic rims - you don't want to look old school do you? --- And look at your old clothes - they are soooo last year - you need the new styles (the Fashion industry was created by the Textile industry to sell more fabric). --- Speaking of fabric? How about those blue jeans. They last too long so let's sell you jeans that have been stone washed (half worn out fabric) and with holes already in them.

So we don't need another signature guitar. But the guitar corporations need to sell us another guitar. And they will do whatever works to do so, and if they succeed, the stockholders won't jump ship.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Fender is a marketing company.

I was looking at an old catalogue from the early '70s and there was one model of Stratocaster with two options. The options were choice of fingerboard material and hardtail. Now there is a strat available at every conceivable price point.

Personally, I'd like to have a George Harrison Tribute Rosewood Telecaster to play "Dig a Pony" and "One After 909" on and FMIC knows that.

• Members
. . .

More widgets: examples Signature Model Guitars - I know you have that Strat but that super-star signature strat will look great in your colletion --- I know you have a perfectly good working xPhone, but the new xPhone will make you the envy of your peers --- I know those wire rimmed glasses look good on you and you can still see perfectly with them, but the new style is big plastic rims - you don't want to look old school do you? --- And look at your old clothes - they are soooo last year - you need the new styles (the Fashion industry was created by the Textile industry to sell more fabric). --- Speaking of fabric? How about those blue jeans. They last too long so let's sell you jeans that have been stone washed (half worn out fabric) and with holes already in them...

Retail claims to be about and promises "customer satisfaction" but it has turned into something that increasingly relies on dissatisfaction to thrive.

I think that if I was a tele player in the early '50s I would have been pretty excited about the new strat coming out but I think the biggest impact was when Hendrix went to London with a Stratocaster. Fender has never let go (and probably never will) of that one.

• Members

No, there needed to be an Edge model long ago. It's more apart of the signature U2 sound than any other guitar. He used a Strat on most of War and The Joshua Tree, which are arguably the best U2 albums. His Explorer days were more during Boy and October when the band was much more lowkey and not the stadium rock giants they later became. Live, he uses almost anything he can get his hands on, but in the studio, the Strat is often his guitar of choice.

• Moderators
Only signature guitar I've ever really liked is the EC strat' date=' it actually has some really useful variations over a normal strat[/quote']

I would say the Eric Johnson Strat is about the only sig Fender I'd consider slightly unique, as he did more or less ask Fender to build him the Strat he had in his head, where the rest are basically partscasters

• Members

I have a Notes Norton Signature Parker (DF522NN). Custom shop job, just the way I like it, not what someone else liked, and it only cost $20 more than the standard DF524NS.

Why buy the dream of someone else when they will build your dream? Doesn't Fender have a custom shop as well?

The one on the right is the custom. Duncan P-Rail pickups, triple shot rings -- gives me P90, Rail, Series Humbucker and Parallel Humbucker with a Piezo under the bridge that I can play solo or blend with the mag pickups - it's a "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars.

7d9dc7c148b95ca7cb165e45140bbed1.jpg.31586ee5d3fc0f8687f1642ada2dbd76.jpg

• Members

A strat is pretty much a Strat IMO. You can take it and mod it to your own liking. Finding a affordable one in a store with a great neck? Not in my town, unless you want to spend 3 grand or more. You can buy cheaper mid priced and get the frets leveled. or 300 for a refret so your frets don't wear so quickly. To spend extra for a computer printed name with a thought of, I can sound like so and so is crazy, but, what ever floats your boat I guess.We live and some of us learn.

• Members

the strat is pretty much ok, its part of edge signature tone, among a lot of other guitars (white '70 lp custom, 330 12 string rick anyone?)

but wtf is with the deluxe amp??? don't get me wrong i love the deluxe, but edge is a ac30 guy and nothing other

ok the EC amp edition was cork sniffery at best, but this amp tops its and i bet it will be more than $2500....

:philpalm:

but hey if you want to buy it, go for it, but don't expect to sound like an ac30

also the last hendrix sig model was ridiculous a righty strat with a lefty neck???

I remember Edge playing the Strat as much as I remember him playing the Explorer. Both are highly connected with early U2 in my mind. Either one would make about equal sense to me as an Edge sig-model IMO... but since the Edge and Bono are now major investors in Fender and serve on the board for that company, the Strat probably makes more sense. :idea::)

Archived