Yamaha Pacifica 112v or 311h?

ns_1989

• Members

I'm getting back into guitar after taking quite a few years off and have decided to invest in a new electric. I'm currently torn between the Yamaha pacifica 112v and 311h. I think the 112v is a bit more versatile (and slightly cheaper) however the 311h seems to be better quality (I also prefer the pick guard colour of the 311h as I don't personally like the standard white pick guard on the 112v) though lacks the tremelo. Any advise or recommendations on which to choose would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

Depends on what you want. If you really want a trem, go for the 112V; if not, the 311H. You're right that the 112V is an entry level guitar but Yamaha makes a good instrument even at the low end. Unfortunately, the 212 models appear to be versions of the112 with cosmetic differences so not much of a step up, and there isn't a version of the 311 with a trem so you're kinda stuck. Personally, I'm not a trem guy so I'd choose the 311H. I can't answer for you.

• Members

I used to be a Yamaha expert, and have owned at least 10. The Yamaha Pacifica is a line, not a model. It ranges from entry level to pro level. I have had an older 112 and a newer 112V. I liked the older 112 better, it felt more solid. The 112 was an excellent guitar. I also had two 311ms, a couple of SGB's, and a 1511MS Mike Stern model which cost over $1K and a bunch of others too. Yamaha makes very consistently good stuff in all price ranges.

• Members

I got my old Pacifica black strat back from my son inlaw I purchased it back in 98 . It had been sitting in the closet for years. The serial number starts out with OX (1998) that was and is the best 200 bucks I ever spent. The front pickup was fat! I ordered a new one (350ish) just to see if they were still just as good as in 98. they're not the same or even close. Played like shi- and the pickups to bright and harsh sounding. and yeah! I do know how to setup a guitar. POS imo based on one guitar tried and returned. Your mileage may......

• Members

First, you probably know that Pacificas range from decent beginner guitars to world class custom shop instruments. (though the world equates Pacificas with the 112).

I have once posted an opinion on this question having some hands-on experience with the different model pacificas. The best ones being long discontinued so you'd have to search the used market for those.

Ratae is right: this is no direct comparision so this refers to quality and reliability (not configuration) so here is my take:

012 = squier

112 = mexican Standard (or Classic Player) it starts getting giggable from here.

212 = a cosmetically improved 112

311 = only a guess as I never tried one: Quality like a 112? but with interesting configuration.

612 or 604 = American Standard with improved QC

611: a big hit for Yamaha, great configuration with superb quality. check that one out!

812 (HSS) or 821 (shredder)= American Standard made on a really good day by employees in a really good mood.

904 = I'd call this one custom shop quality. Made in Japan with some U.S. parts (warmoth coumpound radius neck, Sperzel tuners, etc.) . Stratiest of all Pacificas. And, of course, it is discontinued...

Mike Stern sig = in the same ballpark quality wise as the 904 (in spite of high numbering 1511) but as a tele model.

912, 921= Shredder guitar on par with Ibanez Jem but different.

1200 series = custom shop quality. very rare floyd equipped.

1421 = HSH version of the 1412 but with simpler cosmetics and not chambered.

1412 = USA designed by Rich Lasner. Highest ever of all pacificas (if you exclude some crazy one-off custom shop examplars) A neck-through with complicated hollow body construction and highly figured carved maple top that costed so much to build, Yamaha discontinued them after only a couple of years. At $2,200 in 1990, it was one of the most expensive production guitars out there at the time. Not sure what to compare them to. With only 250 or so in existence, finding one for sale is unlikely though it happens once in a blue moon..

I might say that the build quality is consistently appropriate through the range but the hardware and electronics start being better around the 600 series. Some Folks buy a lower end pacifica for the good neck and stability and then "pimp'" them with better pups and electronics to get a very decent guitar for less money.

Archived