Can $200 buy a quality, gig worthy, new electric guitar ??

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't play any guitar out without getting rid of the stock strings and doing a good setup. If the instrument has no major flaws that wouldn't take me very long so it would simply come down to price and trusting the place you buy it from.

You can buy clones like this all day long in that range but you will wait several weeks to have it shipped.

fetch?filedataid=116582

If you need something same day you have to buy from a local music store.

You can easily try out many of them and find the one that's setup the best and many shops will do setups for you.

You can buy an Affinity Tele for around $170 plus tax and keep it in that $200 range. The one I have plays as

good as any other Squire I've owned. I'm sure a shop will have an Epi in that range too. Those LP JR's are always being sold

between $100~200 on sale. I'd simply go to the Guitar Center internet site, Key in the amount you want to spend and do a search.

I just did one myself. This ones not only on sale for $99 it has a 15% off sale fro Presidents Day.

fetch?filedataid=116583

If you go here you can choose from 800 different new electrics between $100~$200.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electric-Guitars.gc?N=1084&postalCode=77040&radius=100#narrowSideBar

• Members

Borrow a guitar for the gig and then go Rondo, GC (as suggested before), or one of the other budget sites.

If you re willing to take another path, and can be patient, the GC used online selection can yield some wonderful bargains. Plus you can return it to any GC for a full refund in 30 days (maybe even more, not sure about the time exactly).

• Members

Guys, of course used yields more bang for the buck..... heck, in the last year, I bought a 1993 Fender USA standard strat off Ft. Wayne, IN Craigslist for $150 that only needed strings..... the point of this hypothetical exercise is what if used isn't an option..... you got $200 bucks, and about 3 hours before you hit the stage....and new is your only option.

• Members

i would go with a squier affinity strat, would need to hendrix it and do a setup, but then i would be ready to rock...

i don't know what to expect from it, but at least a bit similarity to my CIJ 68 reissue strat, so i would not play a complete new to me instrument, thats why the choice...

• Members
i would go with a squier affinity strat, would need to hendrix it and do a setup, but then i would be ready to rock...

i don't know what to expect from it, but at least a bit similarity to my CIJ 68 reissue strat, so i would not play a complete new to me instrument, thats why the choice...

Cool..... by Hendrix it, do you mean you are a lefty? or you play a lefty, righty?

• Members

Depends on your definition of "quality". Browsing the GC website, there are quite a few choices under $200, none of which I'd be very psyched to play on stage. If I had to choose, I would go after an Affinity Tele (fewer moving parts), Yamaha PAC012DLX (known for quality at any price point), or the VM Squier '51 (they look cool, and the VM series tend to be a step above).

You have $200 USD' date=' and $200 only for an electric guitar... the guitar has to be new, and you have to play a paying gig with it the day you purchase it.... which make/model do you go with? [/quote']

I'd be willing to play a gig with a Squier Jaguar short scale bass... and they're under $200.

Sorry for stretching the rules and picking a bass, but it was the first / only sub-$200 instrument that came to mind.

• Members

I'm totally amazed that any company can market a guitar for 200 bucks. Normally mark ups and profits account for about 50 percent of the cost of goods, that means its costs the manufacture 100 to make it.

Stop and think about that - a hundred bucks for wood, tuners, two or three pickups, pots and caps and all the other wiring, a bridge, fretwire, a truss rod, a few coats of finish. Then we need to amortize the cost of the cnc that's milling the neck and body, not to mention a few highly skilled workers, a cardboard box to ship it in..... oh, yeah, shipping from China or Korea or Mexico, customs duties, shipping to your big box guitar store, then to you.

Most of the guitars I build end up with 5 or 6 or 700 dollars in materials - you want a decent guitar for 2? What really blows my mind is that you can get it!

• Members

I'm a do it yourselfer, I've assembled and wired some great guitars,that are equal to my 1980's Bolt on Kramer and Charvels.

You can assemble some great guitars through sites like GFS, Dragon Fire and Rock Audio. I've had great luck with those companies and never had any issues with the necks ,pickups, pots, caps or bodies they shipped me.

• Members

I'm a guitar tech with my own shop, and most of my clients are gigging musicians, and there are some that do use sub $200 guitars. My definition of what makes a "gigworthy" guitar is pretty simple, and consists of three things:

1. It is playable. That basically has to do with a good set-up, and the absence of gross flaws like uneven frets or a broken truss rod.

2. It can hold tune. Again, that is usually more a set-up issue than a hardware issue.

3. It won't break while you're playing it. Guitarists spend big bucks upgrading tuners, bridges, pickups, pots/caps, etc... The part that fails most often? The output jack. Epiphones are notorious for their crappy jacks... I won't let an Epi leave my shop without a new Switchcraft jack.

I can make ANY guitar gigworthy, but even someone with just a few basic skills should be able to make most any guitar gigworthy.

• Members

Yeah - scale is what does it. Imagine a company that uses a gigantic amount of wood for a variety of product families. They could divert a lot of selected woods to their guitar factory and only see a blip in their timber cost.

Unit cost for pickups and other bits is peanuts and they may manufacture them as well.

The IP is all readily available now and CNC is mature and cost effective.

The bits that have to be upgraded (eg:Epi output jacks) to make them gig worthy are on purpose to keep them from stealing sales from their high margin siblings. The extra cost to them is tiny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

IMHO... no... in that price range, I believe your getting "less" than what your paid for.

but you can buy a decent "Hot Rod" Platform from which to BUILD yourself a nice Guitar.

Though I will caveat that statement with this one.

MOST of the newer Asian made guitars, are using some of the worst sounding materials I've ever put my ear to.

So, if they sound "Good Enough" for you.... then don't worry about it..

but I've played some of the very best there is on the planet, and I now know that I can't live with them.

• Members
I'm a do it yourselfer, I've assembled and wired some great guitars,that are equal to my 1980's Bolt on Kramer and Charvels.

You can assemble some great guitars through sites like GFS, Dragon Fire and Rock Audio. I've had great luck with those companies and never had any issues with the necks ,pickups, pots, caps or bodies they shipped me.

I find that it's hard to keep it under $200 even as a DYIer, even GFS tuners and pickups add up pretty fast. And even lower prices neck and bodies add up quickly. Even Home Depot rattle cans for finishing add up.

O love DYI (I make my own body from scratch), but it's still not exactly cheap.

I'm with Freeman, I am amazed at the fact that you can get a decent guitar for $200. And if you get to pick it, many Squiers and Epiphone are decent price enough for gigging.

Of course my main guitar still is an Epiphone Dot that I got on clearance for $178. That's brand new but I'll admit that clearnace prices are "cheating" per the OP parameters.

Archived