Temperature fluctuation and gear

wankdeplank

• Members

I live in a moderate climate (Vegas) so I enjoy this time of year when I can turn off the A.C. Got the heat on now in the main house but due to dust issues (lots of dust coming thru those vents), prefer to use a space heater in my studio where most of my gear resides. With no heat there until I arrive, there are probably fifteen to twenty degree (Farenheit) daily fluctuations in that space. Aside from the tuning issues (minimal so far) can these fluctuations in temperature damage my guitars or amps over time? And do you try to maintain a certain climate control for your instruments?

• Members

When living in Australia, my temperature changed 20 degrees F a day and it made no difference, although, humidity did. My acoustics sounded different when is was humid, dead kind of. Mind you, it could get very humid where I was living, like you go outside and you are soaked, even when sunny out.

Dust is the enemy, as well as humidity, in my expereince.

I'm thinking you live in a very stable climate in Vegas, comparatively speaking.

I do try to maintain a level of consistancy with my gear. I have a guitar I keep in my car and it sees crazy fluctuations and is doing okay. Still, wouldn't do that with my good gear.

Think about when guitars travel overseas, up high in planes and whatnot, kind of crazy fluctuations there and yet, they survive.

• Members

During a difficult life period a few years back my guitars and amps were kept in a barn. They would have gone below zero a few times and baked at 30C in summer. Humidity?who knows.

When things picked up and I could retrieve them, everything was normal with no warping and such. Just a clean up and fresh strings.

Fortunately the stable cats prevented the possibility of mouse damage

My biggest problem was that those lanky spiders had managed to penetrate every nook and cranny of the amps and leave their hard to remove white droppings and louse husks everywhere.

Based on my experience I wouldn't worry about the domestic fluctuations too much, they are more robust than you think.

• Members

Highly doubt it. If the temp was going down to freezing I might be worried.

Slow changes from cold to hot aren't that big a deal. When I lived in the NE pulling a case out of the car and opening it up too quick would cause condensation on the finish. When finishes get older that can accelerate cracking and chipping.

Of course if its poly you can forget that one too.

The biggest issues with temp changes on solid bodies is to the Truss and Strings. The metal truss contracts when it gets cold and if your neck is really flat you can wind up with a little back bow. Strings contract too adding to the tension and higher string pitches.

My studio has some climate control from an added house vent. I still have to run an AC in summer and it can get pretty nippy in the winter so I do use a spacer heater too.

Like you said, tuning up is a PITA. You can tune to pitch and when your hands heat the strings they all go flat. All you can do is warm them and keep tuning. The only other issue may be with humidity. Air humidity increases when temp goes up. Surface Condensation goes up when it cools (your winshield on cold humid days is a perfect example. It can eat away at metal and plays hell on electronics.

I often get scratchy pots when its cold. The lubricant gets damp and hardens, making for poor contacts.

Again, unless you're seeing 40~50 degree temp changes that occur really fast I doubt your instrument will suffer. If you keep the finish waxed it will repel moisture and gradually warming the guitars (or keeping them in a warmer area) will do the rest. Get your vents cleaned and you won't have to worry about it at all. Probably have fewer health problems as well.

• Members

Humidity in Vegas, not really an issue. The temp changes, shouldn't bother anything much. Maybe the occasional truss rod adjustment.

When I was living in Seattle, once a year was the norm. NJ, Cape May which is an island, maybe 2-3 times a year, depending on the guitar. Here in Jacksonville FL, I adjusted when I brought them down, but since I try to keep the house an average of 72 degrees, and humidity as close to 60% as possible, haven't had to do another adjustment. Yet.

• Members
Yeah, humidity is much more of a concern. Here's some info from Taylor: https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_SymptomsofaDryGuitar.pdf. Not all of it is applicable to an electric but keep an eye out for sharp fret ends and changes in action.

You beat me to it - humidity is always the big issue and particularly when we start heating our homes (which Wank says he is doing). Most central heating systems also dries the air - it can be 80 percent RH outside where I live but only 25 in my house with the heat on. Your guitars will be happiest at the same relative humidity that they were manufactured - somewhere between 40 and 45 percent.

I'll add that every year I fix four or five guitars that get too dry - DE gave you the symptoms. I just a nice little Taylor 716 with a great big crack running the length of the fretboard - I turned down the job because I can't deal with the polyester finish. Acoustics are the most sensitive but electrics, particularly hollow bodies can be affected too - action, fret ends, wonky finish, possibly cracks. Play it safe, keep 'em in their cases with a sponge/baggie and if there is any doubt buy a cheap hygrometer (guitar or cigar store), calibrate it (google) and follow its guidance.

• Members

Interesting. I was in a guitar shop once and Jim Prissant the proprietor had a Gibson Les Paul that was falling apart on the operating table. I asked what happened and he said it belonged to a Pro in town that had just moved here from some Carribean Island where he had a steady gig for years. Apparently the change in humidity caused it to blow up like an overripe watermelon.

• Members

"Sorry Chordite but your story really made me laugh with the stable cats and all. Sad times glad it worked out OK for you and again thx for the anecdotal evidence."

LoL Meet the stable cat. Stalwart protector of stored gear. I've even seen him bring down small rabbits. Not a single chewed cable or speaker cone under his guardianship

fetch?id=31639018

• Members

I have gas hot air heat and it gets exceptionally dry in the house during the winter months. Luckily that's only 2~3 months out of the year. I was still using AC earlier this week and have had a few days in the low 70's which is a nice relief. Haven't had a cold snap yet. Humidity is the big issue during the spring and summer months. South winds bring a steady air troth up from the tropics most of the time.

I have mostly electrics and other then a little tweaking they don't change very much. AC doesn't remove humidity it just lowers its effects on people.

In dry areas like Vegas,I'd need to get a humidifier. Really dry air isn't the best for guitars and it also gives me sinus issues.

When I lived in the NE we had hot water baseboard heating which is second best to radiant floor heating. Neither of those rob the air moisture and you don't have the cold spots like you do with hot air which hangs on the ceilings.

• Members

LOL, that's hilarious dude. The only cat I ever lived with belonged to my live-in girlfriend (thirty years ago) and the little bugger shredded the ten inch cone on a nice RTR stereo speaker I had. Had to replace the speaker cover and the speaker cone. Still enjoyed that cat though and it's cruel to have them declawed.

• Members

Move to a house with radiant heat.

If I ever build a house the heat is going to be in the floor.

Speaking of heat, since this is the guitar forum, I left my 1988 Les Paul Custom Showcase Edition in my parents garage one summer. Here in Cali it gets into the hundreds a number of times each summer. The paint cracked on it. I tell people it adds character. Doh.

• Members
Move to a house with radiant heat.

If I ever build a house the heat is going to be in the floor.

Speaking of heat, since this is the guitar forum, I left my 1988 Les Paul Custom Showcase Edition in my parents garage one summer. Here in Cali it gets into the hundreds a number of times each summer. The paint cracked on it. I tell people it adds character. Doh.

Yeah, just as soon as I win the lottery. I got my wife two hip replacements and my son lasik, and my daughter a two week trip to Europe (something I've never done). Priorities are killin me!!!

Sorry about your LP, hope it's still serviceable.

Archived