PRS S2 Satin Finishes. Awesome guitars. Awesome price.

naboutboul

• Members

Not sure who is aware of these. A buddy of mine let me in. These were just recently released. They come in single cut, 24 double cut and 22 double cut. They retail for just a little over 1k. I'm sure in the next year or two that price will jump up by a few hundred. Anyway, I was thinking about getting a USA Special Tele around the holidays but I'm now thinking this is a better option!

http://www.prsguitars.com/blog/post/..._prs_s2_satins

[video=youtube;ms82uSGE34k]

[video=youtube;AhC03CVyLuo]

[

[video=youtube;z8a1aHGF7GA]

• Members

Kind of interesting - I have always thought of PRS has having some of the nicest woods and finishes in the industry. Looks like they are going for a different price point with these (which is not necessarily bad, just not what I think of from that company).

The discussion in the vids highlights the real reason for satin finishes (which you almost never hear) - they are far less expensive to apply and thus you can really bring the cost of the guitar down. If you don't grain fill, apply very thin finish (fewer coats and less material) and don't buff you can save a huge amount of time and money. Many manufactures use it to hide lesser grades of wood - more so with opaque or shaded colors.

Anyway, doesn't float my boat but I'm sure there is a market.

• Members

I think the S2 is the best quality instrument of the price. To have a USA-built PRSi with the #7 pickups and coil-tap from factory for 1k is an excellent value. I'm trying to sell some of my lower priced guitars so I can convince the wife that I should be allowed to buy one 8-)

Archived