Can/Should I Exchange this American Strat?

naboutboul

• Members

Knowing the issues I've had finding a decent MIM strat recently, the wife went out and got me a early bday gift - a brand new USA Standard Strat in 3tsb! Oddly enough, I already have this guitar in the same color. She bought it at GC, brand new on sale for the next few days for $1099. I'm thinking of exchanging it for another one because of the obvious mismatch in the grain pattern. I don't mind if it's not bookmatched but for a 1k+ guitar, I feel this is unacceptable from Fender. When I first opened it, I wondered if a blind guy let this pass QC and go out the door. For the American Standard series, it seems unacceptable. I'm gonna take it back to a GC closer to my house on Tuesday and ask to exchange it for another one. Anyone have experience dealing with this type of issue? Will GC give me a hard time about it? See pics below.

IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG1040.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, Freeman. The wife already knows I'm super happy with the gift. I didn't originally notice as I was super stoked but she is the one who brought up something seemed off about it. A buddy of mine that works for GC is the one that said it's unacceptable for a $1300 guitar. The difference is more visible in person. Anyway, the wife has no issue with the exchange. In fact, she is encouraging me somewhat and insists I do it before opening any of the case candy or anything like that. Does anyone have experience with exchanging at GC? I heard they can be a pain about it but seems like this shouldn't be an issue because I didn't open anything and it can easily be sold as new

• Members

I'm going to disagree with the wood grain being acceptable.....it's hideous and should have been marked a factory second if not tossed in a burn barrel

However....... The importance of it coming from the wife is huge beyond description. I would be very careful making that decision.

• Members

Understood, Tom. Thanks for the input. The wife is the one recommending I exchange it. I'm not going for a different model or color. I want the same model in the same color. I just want one without the grain pattern you would find on a $79 SX. The wife didn't open the box and as soon as we opened it, she pointed out the mismatch and asked me if it could be exchanged, pointing out that the one in the store looked much "prettier". So, I can assure you guys that that's not an issue. The sentimental value is still there.

• Members

Definitely not acceptable. I got the same one a few years ago and it was perfect. You cleared it with the wife so no worries there. You should definitely return it and I don't see any reason they would give you a hard time as long as you are within the return window. But I have a question. If you already have the same exact guitar in the same color, why not exchange it for a different color while you're at it?

• Members
Definitely not acceptable. I got the same one a few years ago and it was perfect. You cleared it with the wife so no worries there. You should definitely return it and I don't see any reason they would give you a hard time as long as you are within the return window. But I have a question. If you already have the same exact guitar in the same color' date=' why not exchange it for a different color while you're at it?[/quote']

It's my favorite color strat!! The other one had some mods to it so I'm perfectly happy with another one in this color 8-)

• Members

I'm a bit surprised you haven't commented about how it sounds/plays/resonates etc

A two piece factory standard doesn't seem that bad to me. I'd say a mis matched grain pattern on a US factory is probably par for the course given that better wood is usually reserved for custom shop models. It's been that way for years. Not sure why so many of you think that's out of line for the price. Heck I thought having a 3 piece body was the new norm for standard factory US stuff.

• Members
I'm a bit surprised you haven't commented about how it sounds/plays/resonates etc

A two piece factory standard doesn't seem that bad to me. I'd say a mis matched grain pattern on a US factory is probably par for the course given that better wood is usually reserved for custom shop models. It's been that way for years. Not sure why so many of you think that's out of line for the price. Heck I thought having a 3 piece body was the new norm for standard factory US stuff.

I think you're only thinking about Fender. If you buy any PRS S2 or a low-end Gibson, the mismatches aren't nearly as prevalent. It just seems that Fender has been trying to get away with it more so than any other brand, which is not acceptable, IMO. The American Standard retails for $1400. It's just my opinion but if you're spending that much on a brand new guitar, the least they can do is give you a a decent grain match. The bad match hurts resale value too on transparent finishes. Why not just use them for the other colors that have no transparency? It's just poor QC.

Either way, people buy new so that they have that preference and the ability to return/exchange. That's just my opinion anyway

• Members
You did good. That looks MUCH nicer. Congrats on a great guitar and a sweetheart of a wife!

Thanks so much. She is definitely a sweetheart and I'm a VERY lucky man. This one won't see much playtime. I'm planning on keeping it in the family with occasional play and eventually passing it down to one of my kids. I figure I'd start them playing at about 10-12 depending on interest level and give it over as a college grad gift or maybe a HS grad gift depending how responsible I think they would be with it. It's definitely one that I'm keeping my entire life though. No chance I'll be selling this one!

Archived