Experiences with Standard Strat Plus Top?

naboutboul

• Members

Does anyone have experience with the standard plus top strat? I had a 07 MIK Koa Strat which I regrettably got rid of and am having major trouble finding another one in great condition. I like this MIM plus top strat but not sure about the quality of the hardware or pickups. The KOA had the USA 2-point floating bridge which I dug. I'll likely swap them out for a nice set of Duncans like the ones on the lite ash strat. Is it worth the $600 for these MIM guitars? They seem to have gotten awfully expensive in the last couple of years.

• Members

I'd get a used MIA strat but I get you like the top with the flame.

Keep in mind, having owned the Koa Strat you had and the plain Ash too, they had alnico II's in them, which pair well with Ash. For an Alder strat, I prefer Alnico V's, which duncan also make and are exactly the same with just a different magnet.

Personally, I found the trem's on those Korean strats to be unstable, they did sound great though.

• Members

Thanks, Billy. I ordered the plus top but may return it. My local SamAsh has a 03 USA standard in blue with maple fretboard for $499. Everything in great condition except the pickguard. I don't like the maple fretboards but I may go ahead and buy it. I could flip it for a small profit if anything.

• Members
Thanks' date=' Billy. I ordered the plus top but may return it. My local SamAsh has a 03 USA standard in blue with maple fretboard for $499. Everything in great condition except the pickguard. I don't like the maple fretboards but I may go ahead and buy it. I could flip it for a small profit if anything. [/quote']

499 for an American strat is a no brainer, get it done! I know the blue... I had a 2002, it was nice.

• Members

499 for an American strat is a no brainer, get it done! I know the blue... I had a 2002, it was nice.

Yeah. I'm gonna call today to make sure the hardware and pups are original and to inquire more about it. If everything is original, I'm putting a down payment on it. I'm not a fan of maple fretboards but for $499 (plus about $45 in tax), I know I can sell the guitar and recoup my money or even make a small profit if I swap out the pickguard for a new one. Here is a pic of it.

IMAG0982.jpg

Archived