Some info needed

Frets

• Members

Im looking into buying another Fender Stratocaster after selling off my american made one a year or two ago. Got the itch for one and this time I would like to go with a tremolo and humbucker (bridge) set up. The one I sold was all single coil.

I came across this one and wondered if it was just as good as my old one tho.

It doesnt say where its made and what humbucker is in it. Not much info listed, and as for the reviews on it who knows if theyre real people or company paid comments.

Any help on some info like where its made? How good are the parts/wood/neck compared to american made strat? Usually when I see a Special Edition it means stay away. lol! But Ive been researching some tonight and have read some of the special runs Fender does arent that bad????? Again any help please?

• Members

This is exactly what I own and I'm very pleased with it. I never really considered myself a strat person but once I played it I had to own it. It is made in Mexico but I discovered the trem arm is the American size.when I changed it

fetch?id=31624287

• Members

Looks like a wonderful guitar which is apparently an upgrade on the plain MIM Standard. I see it comes with Fender single coils which I assume are alnico - so no upgrade necessary there. Don't know much about the bucker in the bridge. Not sure how it would compare to an American Standard which would cost you another three bills. I assume the American body would be made of fewer pieces - which generally equates to better tone in my experience. Americans are generally three piece and the newer MIM Standards six or seven, but given that this is a special run, the bodies could be higher quality as well.

• Members

I've got two MIM strats. The black one I've swapped the bridge/Trem, jackplate, nut, pickups and pickguard. The white one I swapped out the bridge/trem, jackplate, tuners for gold. These both sound great and they are setup differently and tuned differently.

I was looking for a strat with the HB in the bridge, also. Played many MIM versions, but once I picked up an American strat, the deal was done. I really like the maple necks, but found a "black out" HSS with the rosewood, and couldn't pass it up. The one I bought is below. All stock and "lovin it"!!!

So, budget is always a concern, but, if you can muster the extra cash, check out the American strats.

fetch?id=31626577&type=fullfetch?id=31626578&type=fullfetch?id=31626579&type=full

• Members

I have a 2004 HSS MIM Strat like you're talking about and other than the neck profile, I like it a great deal. Due to my love for chunky Les Paul necks, I then acquired a MIM Kenney Wayne Shepard model that is the nicest Strat I've ever owned. The 2004 model will be wearing a Roland synth system soon for other applications.

I should add that I had to change the bridge on the KWS to a "Vintage" model as the strings were far too close to the fret edges. Easy mod for $35.00

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Some nice guitars there Midlife Rocker. Just how well built are the MIM's? I had an american made strat and dug it alot. But after doing several nights of research and reading nothing but good things about the MIM's Im really thinking (from all I read) the MIM's arent that bad of a guitar. I remember reading a few years ago that once ya had some problems with them they were hard to get parts for or match up. But considering Fender has step it up a notch or so since I last read about them it seems as though they are just lacking in quality on the electronics part. As far as the wood was concerned I heard its the same wood? I did manage to find a used American Standard Strat and GAS has kicked in again & once I get this paid off, I would really like to pick up another Telecaster as well. I was looking at the telecasters again and as much as I love the 52 reissue version the Standard Telecaster HH is calling me. I love the silver and black with rosewood fretboard. I like the versatility of it but my biggest concern is does it have enough twang that the tele is known for. That is my main issue as I have enough guitars that offer humbucker sound. Im still researching if you can put a single coil in the bridge on the standard HH version. I know it has the pull push option but is it enough twang from splitting the coil?

The only other tele Ive seen come in silver is the american deluxe version.

• Members

The one pictured is a mexican but you can get that exact setup and color in the American Special strat which is made in the U.S. The difference between the standard and the special is the special has a vintage tremolo and not the 2-point floating tremolo and the pickups are obviously different. The headstock is the larger strat headstock too which is hit or miss depending on your taste. The American Special runs for $1000 brand new but you can probably pick one up for half that used on Ebay if you have some patience. Here is a link - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...le-fingerboard

• Members
Some nice guitars there Midlife Rocker. Just how well built are the MIM's? I had an american made strat and dug it alot. But after doing several nights of research and reading nothing but good things about the MIM's Im really thinking (from all I read) the MIM's arent that bad of a guitar. I remember reading a few years ago that once ya had some problems with them they were hard to get parts for or match up. But considering Fender has step it up a notch or so since I last read about them it seems as though they are just lacking in quality on the electronics part. As far as the wood was concerned I heard its the same wood? I did manage to find a used American Standard Strat and GAS has kicked in again & once I get this paid off, I would really like to pick up another Telecaster as well. I was looking at the telecasters again and as much as I love the 52 reissue version the Standard Telecaster HH is calling me. I love the silver and black with rosewood fretboard. I like the versatility of it but my biggest concern is does it have enough twang that the tele is known for. That is my main issue as I have enough guitars that offer humbucker sound. Im still researching if you can put a single coil in the bridge on the standard HH version. I know it has the pull push option but is it enough twang from splitting the coil?

The only other tele Ive seen come in silver is the american deluxe version.

The MIM's are built well. Although, the tuners on the early ones I don't like. The black one above has some crappy tuners, and in order to swap them out, will require some drilling. I've been really happy with the MIM's I have. Never had any issues with warped necks, cracks, electronics, etc. Needed the nut replaced on the black one, but nothing more than that.

Archived